Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintaining Hierarchy in SAP MDM

former_member193350
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Is there any particular level upto which we can maintain hierarchy in SAP MDM?

Regards

Prateek Agarwal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prateek

there is no limit of hierarchy, but avoid having long number of hierarchy, it sometimes make your solution bulky and cause problem to data.

Regards

Nitish Sharma

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Erdal_Şimşek
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

your hierarchy table can contain many levels. However, if the number of records you want to hold in the hierarchy table exceeds 10,000 records then you should rather switch to a Lookup[Main] approach. Here, you usea a main table to stup your hierarchy.

Regards,

Erdal

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Prateek,

There no such nesting level restriction that I have faced.

I had created a Taxonomy with 3000 attributes and 800plus classes,that worked well.

Important thing is attribute properties should be properly maintained,any change at a later point leads to huge rework.

Wrongly link attributes also cause trouble to remove once they have data linked to them.

The same goes well for hierarchy.

Thanks,

Ravi

0 Kudos

Hi Prateek,

As mentioned by others, there is no limit on number of levels.I do have the same opinion but Few drawbacks in my view:-

1. It's bit tricky to prepare the initial load file if number of levels are huge in hierarchy structure.

2. If there is mass change in the hierarchy structure ( where number of levels are pretty high), It's impossible to do the mass change by import manager as far as i know. However, you will have to do it by data manager which is time consuming.

Regards,

Vineet

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prateek,

There is no such limit in MDM.You can define any many no. of levels as per your business requirement.

Regards,

Neethu Joy

former_member193350
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Neethu,

So, In SAP MDM Can we implement any business scenarios with any type of hierarchy or is there any limitations for it?

If anyone faced problems with hierarchy/taxonomy where you are not able to implement any particular business scenario, please mention it.

I appreciate your help

Regards

Prateek Agarwal

former_member193350
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Neethu,

So, In SAP MDM Can we implement any business scenarios with any type of hierarchy or is there any limitations for it?

If anyone faced problems with hierarchy/taxonomy where you are not able to implement any particular business scenario, please mention it.

I appreciate your help

Regards

Prateek Agarwal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prateek,

As such I have never faced any issue in maintaing no. levels .

But one restriction in MDM is you can only link record to leaf node.In most cases records are linked to leaf node,but I have experienced a scenario where in source system records were linked to higher level nodes also not just leaf node.

For that we copied all such higher level nodes to leaf node for linkage in MDM as a workaround.

You can check in you case in source system how records are linked .

With taxanomy as such no issues till date I have faced.

Regards,

Neethu Joy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prateek

There is no limitations on number of levels for Hierrachy tables in MDM. Similarly for taxonomy we dont have system limitation on number of attributes linked with hierarchy.

However some of hte points to be considered are-

1. Avoid huge hierarchies. Maintaining hierarchical/taxonomy data in MDM is complex particularly for mass updates.

2. Records are always assigned with the final leaf node.

3. Syndication of Hierarchy table data requires custom development in MDM.

4. Read/search on taxonomy is complex and generally performance is low compared to other table types.

thanks-Ravi