cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extract data from MDM - techniques pros and cons

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

We are on MDM 7.1 and hosted HR master data on our repository. We wish to have a third party Non-SAP application to extract data (few flat tables stored in repository) from MDM on a daily basis, may be through a scheduled job etc.I wish to know the different approaches to accomplish.

We are developing a case study / prototype first, then we can do a full fledge implementation.

I browsed and came across following ways.

1> MDM syndication

2> MDM Webservice

3> MDM ABAP API - I hope this cannot be used as consumer is a non-sap app

4> MDM Java API

I wish to know pros and cons.

--- Amit

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

As mentioned in the above post by Prasad,you can schedule according to your need in the processing interval.

Ofcourse there are other ways too achive this.

MDM Syndication should be the pick of the lot here.

It provides you with wide array of functionalities,its dedicated for syndication and its robust.

But if your selection logic for records is very complex then this is not the method to use.

Java API are also robust and you can also build complex syndication logic here.

But it involves lot of development work and also testing.

Webservices are also good if data is not huge.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Amit,

1. You can use the Syndicator functionality to extract the data from MDM

2. Create a map and assing the map to the port

3. To extract on a daily basis, create an automatic port in the Console and set the ports Processing type property to "automatic" and processing interval property can be set to either of the following "Continuous/Hourly/Daily/Weekly"

4. Based on the processing interval the syndication will be triggered automatically(Since you want to extract the records on a daily basis you can set the processing interval property to Daily and select a time on which the syndication should be triggered)

5. PI can be used as a middelware when you want to convert the XML file to the valid file type which can be fed to the receiving system (if the receiving system in ECC you should use PI to convert the XML file into IDOC structure)

6. IF the same xml file can be fed to the receiving system (If the system in Non sap) ten you can use an FTP which will pick the file from the port's outbound port and place in the appropriate place for the other system to load it.

The advantage i see is as this is an inbuilt feature of MDM used to extract data so you do not need to go for API

Hope this helps

Rgds,

Prasad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The best method is to use MDM Syndication in conjunction with SAP PI.

SAP PI can transfer and connect to data base directly or place the XML on a particular FTP for further action

Not much hassle to implement.

Regards,

Abhishek