cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle 11g software uninstall

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Basis Expert,

We have done a oracle 11g (11.2.0.2) upgrade in our Mock system.

Can anybody tell me how to uninstall oracle 11g software in AIX 5.3.

I tried searching google but couldnt find it.

Please help me.

Regards,

Anil

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Uninstalling all products from UNIX is a lot more consistent. If you do need to resort to a manual uninstall you should do something like:

Uninstall all Oracle components using the Oracle Universal Installer (OUI).

Stop any outstanding processes using the appropriate utilities.

1. oemctl stop oms user/password

1. agentctl stop

1. lsnrctl stop

Alternatively you can kill them using the kill -9 pid command as the root user.

Delete the files and directories below the $ORACLE_HOME.

1. cd $ORACLE_HOME

1. rm -Rf *

With the exception of the product directory, delete directories below the $ORACLE_BASE.

1. cd $ORACLE_BASE

1. rm -Rf admin doc jre o*

Delete the /etc/oratab file. If using 9iAS delete the /etc/emtab file also.

1. rm /etc/oratab /etc/emtab

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/install.111/b32002/remove_oracle_sw.htm#CEGBAJIA

Br,

Venky

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Basis Expert,

Thanks for your reply

Is it possible to uninstall from the Oracle Universal Installer (OUI used for 11g) and bring the database back to Oracle 10g(10.2.0.4).

Regards,

Anil

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Anil,

please ignore the reply from Venky. His procedure does not remove any meta data in the global oracle inventory.

Oracle provides a tool called "deinstall" for that: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e16763/remove_oracle_sw.htm#BABGEAEG

If you want to revert your database to an old version - you need to install the old oracle software (or use the old ORACLE_HOME if you have not deleted it yet) and restore your database.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your reply.

Our requirement is like this

On Mock 1 server we have done SAP Release upgrade and oracle upgrade (11.2.0.2). On the same sever we will be doing another run of SAP Release upgrade and oracle upgrade i.e Mock 2 run.

For Mock 2 upgrade we will have to bring back to the old oracle 10g version (10.2.0.4) from 11g (11.2.0.2) and the directories 102_64 and 112_64 is still existing in Mock 1.

Here do we need to uninstall oracle 11g software?

Can you please let me know your inputs.

Regards,

Anil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per my understanding after uninstalling upgraded SAP system on 11g you again want to upgrade SAP and using DB 10g.

1.Uninstall the SAP & DB first before uninstalling the Oracle binaries

2. Make use of SApinst and uninstall system option and go ahead.

R u gng to use the same SID in mock 2 as foe mock 1 ?

I not so than there will be no conflicts.

11_2 ,10_2 are the only path's (storing the oracle binaries ) for those you can provide different location's for mock 2 installation.

Regards,

Sahil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In addition to the above, Please be careful if you are using Global inventory for both Oracle versions as stefan suggested.

Br,

Venky

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Anil,

no there is no need to uninstall the Oracle 11g R2 software (/oracle/<SID>/112_64).

You can revert to your old oracle software installation by changing the home directory of the ora<sid> user.

After that you can restore your old database and recover it. In very rare cases you can also downgrade your database without a restore, but this option is not possible in a SAP environment by default (COMPATIBLE parameter).

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your reply.

Is it because of the Compatible parameter is 11.2.0. The database downgrade from 11.2.0.2 to 10.2.0.4 is not possible in SAP environment.

SQL> show parameter compatible;

NAME TYPE VALUE

-

-

-

compatible string 11.2.0

SQL>

Can you please share more information reagrding this.

Regards,

Anil

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Anil,

yes this is the reason. If you upgrade your Oracle database with the SAP tools (runInstaller wrapper script) with the default settings, the compatible parameter is set to newest release.

Information about the compatible parameter and the downgrade procedure is in the official documentation:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/downgrade.htm#UPGRD007

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25513/scripts004.htm#sthref3802

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your reply and the link which you have provided

Steps carried out will be as follows

1)Stop SAP/DB and listener

2)Rename 112_64 to 112_64.backup

3)In 102_64 inside /oracle/<SID>/102_64 will rename bin-old to bin

4)Point all the environment variables to 10g(10.2.0.4)

5)Restore the backup

6)Start with SAP upgrade and after completion of SAP upgrade we will have to start with oracle 11g upgrade

Now for doing the oracle 11g upgrade do we need to execute DBUA again.From which all step we must follow for doing oracle 11g upgarde.

Please help me

Regards,

Anil