SAP for Public Sector Discussions
Foster conversations about citizen engagement, resource optimization, and service delivery improvements in the public sector using SAP.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reassignment of an existing company code from a FB fm area to a BCS fm area

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi. I have a question regarding reassigning company code to a new fm areas. I am doing this in our sandbox. we need to remove the old fm area (FB) and assign the company code to a new fm area (BCS). This is what I did.

1- Created a new FM area 2

2- Deactivated FM global function

3- Deactivated FM area 1

4- Reassigned company code to fm area 2

5- Reactivated FM global function

However, I am getting error message FI636 (Check that you have chosen the right FM area. You may have to go to the Funds Management implementation guide and deactivate Funds Management before carrying out your assignment, then reactivate it afterwards)

We are not on the New GL

Has anyone tried to reassign an existing cc to a new fm area? Does SAP allow that? The help documentation says we should be able to do this.

UPDATE:

I assigned currency, fiscal year variant and other attributes to the new FM. Now I get message FI673- there is already actual data for FM area xxx which is assigned to company code xxx.

Thanks

Nik

Edited by: Nicholas Zahiri on Feb 20, 2012 9:22 PM

10 REPLIES 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, check note 1502436.

Also, why are you changing assignment? You can migrate fom FB to BCS

iklovski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As mentioned by Aleksey, no reassignment is required. Please, read the material on help.sap.com for migration to BCS. The highlights of the process are very well described and if you encounter a specific issue, you can always raise it here.

Regards,

Eli

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys. There are several company codes assigned to the FB (fm area 1) and all these company codes are in the same instance. A decision is made to reassign only one of these company codes to the new BCS fm area so we can take advg. of new master data and other functionalities. I know that commitment and actual tables in FM (fmioi, fmit and etc..) are the same in BCS and FB. I guess my question is is there a way to keep the old data in the same tables and start with the new BCS? I hope it is clear

Nick

0 Kudos

Hi,

Not to my knowledge, no. You can change the assignment of FM area only if no data is posted. These are the criteria from the IMG activity help:

Neither Funds Management nor Cash Budget Management is active

No actual data has been posted yet

No commitment items have yet been posted in any of the G/L accounts in the company code in question.

Regards,

Eli

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Eli

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eli, I have one more question for you. If we have two company codes with different fm areas then intercompany code posting is not allowed according to OSS 1402182. Do you know of anyway (besides manual entry in both company codes) to accomplish intercompany posting in this situation?

Thanks

Nick

0 Kudos

Hi,

In one of my projects, we do have cross-company postings with different FM areas. But, this note is not implemented there. Since, we don't actually use FI-CA, we don't encounter any problem so far. But, I cannot guarantee you that in your project you won't experience some problems, if you, say, neutralize the message this note creates.

Regards,

Eli

0 Kudos

Hi Eli,

You mention on a project that you have intercompany postings in your system with 2 different FM areas. Do you have 2 different controlling area's setup each linked to the 2 different FM areas via different Company Codes? If not, how is the system setup to facilitate 2 FM Areas? If that is the case, how do you manage processes where 1 cost object from Controlling Area A sends cost to a cost object from Controlling Area B (e.g., Cost Center activity allocation to a WBS element for labor or equipment).

Thanks

John

0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a setup with different controlling areas, but there is no cost allocation processes between the two. So, no problems in this domain. Intercompany postings are those connected with payments.

Regards,

Eli

0 Kudos

Hi Eli. Do you know if it is possible to have in the same instance of SAP two controlling areas assigned to different company code and these company codes assigned to FB and BCS areas. I guess the main question is if it is possible to have FB and BCS active in the same instance. If yes, can you direct me to the document that talksa about it?

Thanks

Nick