cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe design specification Template

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Does anyone have a document/ template for recording the specification of a Business Objects Universe?

I am getting requirements from our users and want to a) store these in a sensible, usuable document form and b) present this document back to the users for sign off c) use the document as the guideline when actually creating the universe.

The document should summarise the following points

Introduction ( overview, assumptions, acronyms, stakeholders)

-> Business Requirements (report requirements)

-> Data Sources

-> Universe Design (tables names and column names, classes, Naming conventions of objects, joins & relations, conditions to create at universe level)

->Security Design (security levels) .

Thanks and regards ,

Charu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

It looks like you've made a start there! Good luck with your work going forward.

Regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Charu,

I am trying to prepare a sample tempale which will track most of the universe related data in excel as base line

I am splitting the universe components into tabs and then into columns of an excel document.

Following are the different tabs and the columns which will document the universe components.

Just go through and you can customize your own template which will standardise all your requirements in the form of a document to develop the universe

Class tab:

Class Name , Parent class, class description in business terms

Objects tab:

Class Name,Object Name, Data type,Object description in business terms , database table name, and column name , Logic of the object definition(Like Case or If else), Wehere condition,Aggregate function, LOV enable ,Hierarchy

Joins tab:

Join expression, cardinality, Join type(outer, left or right)

Context tab:

Context name , join Expression, Context Description

Condition:

class name, Condition name, Business Description of the condition,

Hope this will help you ...

Thanks,

Pramod.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Charu,

You can get the docuementor Macro from below thread:

[http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/viewtopic.php?t=94223]

You can download the xls and run the macro on BO server.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Chinmay Athavale

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help ...but this macro will retrieve data from an already existing universe , whereas my question is regarding a standard template that can be used a baseline universe design specification template for creating new universe

Thanks ,

Charu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok. So if you requirement is regarding Universe Design document, then you need to create this document as per your report requirement or query requirement specifications.

Generally, all the tabs, that you see in the xls that I had suggested last time, will also appear in your design document.

Aprt from that, few more stuff that you may include would be:

1. Data Source Name

2. Connection Details (Universe Parameters details)

3. Filters

4. Universe Restrictions, etc.

All the above details in addition to the tabs from xls together will form your Universe design document.

Regards,

Chinmay Athavale