cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File adapter. Only get new files

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I have a small problem that I'm not able to solve that easily with XI.

I have some directories that I need to get files from on a remote server. The only problem is i need to get only the new files and I am not allowed to delete the old files. Since we are not the only one getting those files.

So far I have not found any option to keep the old files and only get the new ones. Does anybody know a neat trick to get only the new ones?

Regards,

Wietse

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member187587
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi again Wietse,

After configuring the file adapter the way i mentioned,check for performance, you might need to install remote Adapter engine if you have some FW problems or other security barriers that turn the processing of this file to a hassel over the net.

Nimrod

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Hi again Wietse,

> After configuring the file adapter the way i

> mentioned,check for performance, you might need to

> install remote Adapter engine if you have some FW

> problems or other security barriers that turn the

> processing of this file to a hassel over the net.

>

> Nimrod

Problem still is I am not allowed to do anything else then ftp/get on the files. I can't install a remote adapter engine or change anything to the files.

I hoped that it would be possible to store the filenames somewhere and compare a dir listing to the stored filenames before the real get is done. But even when writing an adapter module, the file will already be in the adapter once the module kicks in. And I don't want to get old files that I've already processed into my system since there is a huge history of files on the machine.

I think I might end up writing a perl script that searches for the new files and gets them and them sends them through to XI using a SOAP call.

former_member187587
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Wietese.

Easy one....

Set the File adapter Processing Mode for "Set to Read-Only"

this will change the file property to read-only.

This will cause only new files to be processed.

Good luck.

If you have any more questions on file adapter please post.

Nimrod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Problem is I can't do that, file property are already read only for the ftp user i got.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wietse,

what about setting a FLAG to processed records?

regards Mario

Message was edited by: Mario Müller

Former Member
0 Kudos

No I'm really just using ftp to get flat files. So no database records.

And since they are flat files (some xml some sgml some completly different formats) I have to use the file adapter to get them.

Problem is I cant delete them, move them or make them raed only to mark them as read, since I am not the only one getting the files.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

In File/FTP adapter configuration ( as sender adapter ) you need to set the processing mode under processing parameters as "Test" . It just process the files and place all the files as per requirement and place them in the remote server . It wont delete the source files in your source system .

In your case you have to USE only FTP only as the transport mode you have to set the processing mode as "TEST" .

Please let me know if you need any more information ..

Nanda

Message was edited by: Nanda kishore Reddy Narapu Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Hi ,

>

> In File/FTP adapter configuration ( as sender adapter

> ) you need to set the processing mode under

> processing parameters as "Test" . It just process the

> files and place all the files as per requirement and

> place them in the remote server . It wont delete the

> source files in your source system .

>

> In your case you have to USE only FTP only as the

> transport mode you have to set the processing mode as

> "TEST" .

>

But won't this pick up all the files again after every poll interval? That could be a huge amount. Or will it skip files that It already processed?

> Please let me know if you need any more information

> ..

>

>

> Nanda

>

>

> Message was edited by: Nanda kishore Reddy Narapu

> Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Is all other applications also refering to same directory ? If no , then you can archive files into a different directory and ask all the applications point to that new directory to process the files.

Nanda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

>>But won't this pick up all the files again after every >>poll interval? That could be a huge amount. Or will it >>skip files that It already processed?

Did you checked it by setting processing parameter Quality of service as Exactly once ?

Please chcek this it should solve your issue ..

Nanda

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

i guess to avoid such a large complexity, as nanda suggested if you can bring in a small change in the business process by askin the other appl. to poll the archive directory matters can be made simple.

use the archive option for the file adapter, which will sent the read file to the archive folder.

Ref: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e3/94007075cae04f930cc4c034e411e1/content.htm

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Hi ,

>

> >>But won't this pick up all the files again after

> every >>poll interval? That could be a huge amount.

> Or will it >>skip files that It already processed?

>

>

> Did you checked it by setting processing parameter

> Quality of service as Exactly once ?

>

> Please chcek this it should solve your issue ..

>

> Nanda

Im gonna try this in the afternoon. If this works It might indeed solve the complete issue