Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re : looking up in other main table

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Could someone let me know, my scenerio below:

I have 2 main tables Suppliers and Materials table, Can i set up a field in Suppliers table which looks into material main table and shows only the materials that this supplier produces.

Thanks in Advance

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi Shifali,

SAP is going to provide additional feature, reverse lookup & relation graphs, in MDM 7.1 SP8 version which would really help in this scenario. Refer to below link for details :

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm71/helpdata/en/48/fc35094c6a2b34e10000000a421937/frameset.htm

Thanks & Regards,

Vineet

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Shifali,

You can create a Lookup main field in suppliers table.

Steps

1. Login to console and Unload the repository.

2. In the Main table Suppliers create a field called "Material ", select the Type as "Lookup main", and select the Main table as "Materials"

3. Load the repository with Update Indices.

4. Login to Data Manager and select the Main table as Suppliers.

5. You can see the field "Material" in the record detail tab , hear you can select a Material from the Main table "Materials" by providing a search criterian in the field.

6. In the Lookup main Field "Material" you can only see the fields of the Main table "Materials" for which the Display field Property is set to "Yes".

Eg: If you have only one display field called "Material Number" (Material Number Display field Property is set to "Yes") in the Main table Materials, you will only see this field in the Lookup main field in the Suppliers table.

You cannot write Assignments on Lookup main field though the Lookup main field is shown in the Assignment field Drop down. The assignment will Fail.

Beacuse for any lookup field you have to assign an existing lookup records (Eg. if you want to assign a value to lookup field Account groups of the Supplier table you have to select the existing value "Account.Group 0001" from the drop down) but in our case the lookup tab dropdown does not show the Lookup main records from the Main table Material, which means you cannot select an existing value

Rgds,

Prasad

former_member209780
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes you can create a Lookup [[Main]] of material in your supplier table. You can also create multivalued, if you have more than one materials for a supplier.

This feature is introduced in MDM 7.1. You can see New Features and Enhancements in below link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm71/helpdata/en/48/fc35094c6a2b34e10000000a421937/frameset.htm

To auto populate in the lookup field the materials data that a particular supplier produces, you can define and run an assignment if you have some relation or related field between material and supplier tables

Regards

Goutham Kanithi

Former Member
0 Kudos

.Hope this helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response Prasad .

But with my experience in SAP MDM 7.1, i know the feature till creating a lookup main field in Suppliers to see in Materials, But if I do that i would be able to see all the materials in the Materials repository.

Where my question is I have to have only those list of Materials that a particular Supplier supplied.

Regads

Shifali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Shifali,

The Lookup Main field in Suppliers table will show all the records of the main table "Material" out of which you can select the required Material records which are associated with the Supplier.

Where my question is I have to have only those list of Materials that a particular Supplier supplied.

You have to manually select the Materials that a particular Supplier supplied because the system will not know which materials the Supplier supplied and that is where you will manually create the link.

Click on the lookup main field and provide the complete or partial material number (when you provide the partial material number and click, a popup will appear which will show all the materials that start with the given partial number)

Eg: Say Supplier "A" is Associated with 3 Materials 100, 101 and 102, now in the Lookup main field of supplier record "A" you can see all the materials of the main table Material out of which you can select the Three Material numbers 100,101 and 102 and link the three Material records with the Supplier record (either you can provide the complete numbers or you can just provide the number 10 and the system will display all the material records whose number start with 10 eg 101, 102, 103 etc).

Rgds,

Prasad

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you are doing this in portal, it is supported.

former_member209780
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

Thanks for the clarification. I agree with you, it is not possible to run assignment for lookupmain to autopopulate data. It may be possible using programming interfaces like java or .net.

@Shifali- Please accept my apologies

Regards

Goutham Kanithi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shifali,

As explained in the other posts this scenario is very much feasible using Multiple main tables.

Easiest way to design a model is to imagine how the final data would look like.

Depending on this you can link tables.

Also assignments are unable to populate value in a main table field when they are run from other main table but you can certainly run assignments on them,say if you want to make a value NULL.This can be achieved by writing an assignment on the main table field.

Thanks,

Ravi

former_member226173
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Shifali,

You can use a lookup of main table and use a Constraint to filter out the data .

Go to Console -> Roles -> Constraint

you can select the necessary table and fileds and put your constraint .

Let me know if you see a feasibility in this .

Regards,

Vignesh