cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between strategy profile SAP_CTP and strategy inside SAP_PP_CTP?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear gurus,

could any of you tell me in which cases is SAP_CTP strategy profile (finite as default) used and in which cases is the strategy profile in the standard CTP heuristic SAP_PP_CTP (infinite as default)?

IIf the strategy is inside the heuristic, why do I need SAP_CTP at all?

I tried to make sense of it in the help pages and notes, but no luck...

thanks a lot,

Pablo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pablo,

SAP_CTP strategy Profile is used with time-continuous resources that were finitely planned.OSS notes 426563 (CTP settings ) and 663297 ( Strategy Settings for Planning documentation ) may be useful to you.

Strategy profile for infinite scheduling

If you use CTP focusing on taking account of the availability of important components and you do not require any finitely planned resource, you then use a strategy profile for infinite scheduling.

SDN thread is also present for the same issue:

http://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1645206

Hope the information is useful

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for your answer,

I had gone previously through your suggested OSS notes and post but could not find my answer, could you please clarify?

I am using APO 7.0 and the CTP heuristic does include the strategy settings, and the heuristic is included in the planning procedure customizing, therefore the settings in the PPDS customizing are always overruled?

I am still puzzled, as I am obtaining multilevel finite planning when I create the sales order in ECC, but multilevel infinite planning when I create a finished product order in APO!

regards,

Pablo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pablo,

I had similar confusion in my mind hence posted that theread some time back.

Based on my test results my finding are as below.

1. When sales order is created in ECC it will use setting from Global parameters in PPDS. This is the exception only for CTP process as we are planning interactively. So heuristic strategy settings are not considered there.

2. When you create planned order manually for finished product in APO it will use strategy settings from the stragy profile defined for interactive planning I.e. PP strategy in product veiw.

This is based on test results and also analysis of problem faced in our project. As far SAP notes and help is concerned I am also not able to interpret what exactly it is pointing to.

So if you set correct strategy setting in product veiw while manual planning too it will do finite planning.

Regards,

Santosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for your helpful answer, it agrees with what I am seeing and I could not find any clue in the help pages.

Just a question comes to my mind: from what you say, the strategy in the PPDS customizing is also used in the multilvel CTP? In that case, I cannot have in the same APO system one business unit with bucket CTP and another one with time-continuous capacity!?!?

regards,

Pablo

frank_horlacher
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

can you please clarify you question a little for me.

what do you mean by multilevel CTP?

multilevel CTP check during ATP or during the CTP heuristic?

for all CTP check during ATP the strategy out of the overall settings for PP/DS iin customizing are used.

the setting is client wide.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Frank,

May be I am confusing CTP and planning procedure 3 with CTP heuristic. In our scenario we have 3 levels of production in MTS (SCM 7.0), the bottleneck being the last one (llc=2). We want to trigger production upon arrival of the sales order un ECC and for that we are configuring CTP, that is what I was referring to as multilevel CTP.

Automatic production planning is being triggered both by the ATP-CTP check or manual planning at llc=0, but I was facing unexpected behaviour: 1) infinite planning when doing manual planning, even when the strategy is finite both in the customizing strategy and the PP strategy, 2) also orders are being planned finitely inside the fixed PPDS horizon in response to sales orders, when I expected it would switch to forward planning and plan outside. Is this the expected behaviour??

thanks a lot for any help on this matter,

Pablo

frank_horlacher
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

ok I understand.

after you save the sales order a heuristic is carried out. This heuristic normally only deletes unused receipts if you reduced the sales order quantity.

what transaction do you use for manual planning?

do you use the

/SAPAPO/CDPS1 - Detailed Scheduling -> Detailed Scheduling Planning Board - View 1

or

/SAPAPO/CDPS0 - Detailed Scheduling Planning Board - Variable View

then the Strategy Profile of the planning board is relevant.

in the Strategy Profile check the following settings:

on tab Strategy Parameters f. Dependent Objects

Sched. Submode

the settings in the submode influence how other operations in the multilevel operation network are scheduled. If your setting is

Schedule Dependent Operations Infinitely

Here, the system reschedules the dependent operations infinitely to the dependent resources. That may be the reason why you see infinite operations after manual rescheduling.

If you use a planning heuristic in

/SAPAPO/RRP3 - Product View

please check the following:

[Definition of Strategy Settings for PP Heuristics |http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm70/helpdata/en/c1/147a375f0dbc7fe10000009b38f8cf/frameset.htm]

Edited by: Frank Horlacher on Feb 24, 2012 11:24 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot, that was precisely what was happening.

Regards,

Pablo

Answers (0)