cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Backup time problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SAP GURUS,

I am facing problem in taking the backup of my BI-Production system , It consist of nearly 250+ gb of data ,we are scheduling whole backup onlineredolog backup , it takes arond 12 hours time ,but other prodution system with more database on same plateforn with same (oracle) database completed in 1+ hour.

Could somebody please help me in resolving this issue or any reason this happed to my system.

Regads

RJ

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Could be quite a lot of reasons.

- native backups / 3rd part software ?

- parallel (how many sessions?)

- multiplexing (how many streams?)

Check Networkconnection when backing up via network.

If somewhere is a 10 or 100 MBit fallback link due to wrong autonego ...

Volker

0 Kudos

Hello RJ,

this can have various reasons. Could be on reading data or on writing data.

I suggest that you consult the following white paper, chapter 4 for possible tuning options:

[Backup and Recovery with IBM DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows in an SAP Environment Part 2 u2013 Backup Best Practices|https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/download/attachments/116426414/WhitepaperBARpart+2.pdf?version=1]

Some ideas, that are also described in more detail in the white paper:

How does your tablespace layout look like ? An optimal layout for backup performance would be to have tablespaces of about the same size - not one single tablespace nearly representing the overall database size.

If you perform the backup to some remote location, i.e. over a network, consider to use backup compression to better utilize the available bandwith.

Also check the High Water mark of your table spaces. If there is free space, consider to lower the high water mark to speed up the backup.

Regards, Hans-Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Der Hans-Juergen,

Can you please suggest this for AIX with oracle database

Regards

RJ

Edited by: jainrajatiu on Feb 17, 2012 12:00 AM

Edited by: jainrajatiu on Feb 17, 2012 12:01 AM

Edited by: jainrajatiu on Feb 17, 2012 12:02 AM

0 Kudos

Hello RJ,

sorry, I can't.

If your question is related to Oracle, it was posted in the wrong forum.

johannes_heinrich
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Moved to SAP on Oracle forum...