cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP BW as a Data Source in BODS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience using SAP BW as a data source in BODS to extract data and load into other applications for integration purposes?

I am also wondering weather Open Hub is a pre-requisite to connect to this data as currently we are not licensed to use Open Hub in our existing SAP BW environment.

Kind Regards

Nathan Block

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member

I have also just come across the SAP Supplement document for BODS

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir4/en/xi4_ds_sap_en.pdf

That contains the following extract

4.1 Using Data Services in SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse environments

SAP BusinessObjects Data Services provides the following capabilities in an SAP NetWeaver Business

Warehouse (BW) environment:

u2022 Read data from an InfoProvider (such as an InfoCube, DataStore object, and InfoObject) in one of

the following ways:

u2022 SAP Open Hub Destination service which executes an SAP NetWeaver BW process chain that

reads the data from the InfoProvider and loads an Open Hub Destination table that Data Services

reads as a source table.

u2022 Auto-generated ABAP program or RFC functions that read data from the underlying tables of the

InfoCube, DataStore object, or InfoObject.

The preferred method is to use the SAP Open Hub Destination service to read from a BW InfoProvider.

My next question is, are there any major reasons you would not use the Auto-generated ABAP method over Open Hub? Are there likely to be major performance issues? Or is it just more complex to set up over Open Hub which links directly into BODS...

Edited by: Nathan Block on Feb 16, 2012 7:03 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Nathan

Yes it is a possible, by extracting a data from SAP BW with the help of BODS to data target.

Prerequisite is

: you need to have Info Providers

: need to have Process Chain ID

: need to have Open Hub Destination

: Other relevant credentials like SAP Host number..etc

this prerequisite help you while creating a Datastore in BODS as well as during process of extraction.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

The answer to my question is:

If you are using any method (including OpenHub) to extract data from BW and that data is being used outside of an SAP product, you would need an OpenHub license.

If you are using any method (including OpenHub) to extract data from BW and that data is only being used within an SAP product, you would not need an OpenHub license.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am extracting data from SAPBW(source) and loading Data to FLAT File(Target) using BODS4.0.

what is the config changes i have to do

Thanks

Regards,

Suresh