cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe Object Count Limit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In our sales database, for each department we track sales based on the sales channels that are used (direct to consumer, retail, warehouse etc). Each channel has its own extensive list of aggregates, measures, filters etc and is contained in its own root level folder. We initially created a single universe containing 2 of these channels since that's all we were tracking. Our analysts frequently need to write reports that contain objects from multiple channels.

As we have started tracking more channels, the question that has come up is that should we create separate universes or keep cramming those new channels into the same universe?

1) Is there a BO recommended object count in a single universe?

2) If we choose to have one giant universe with more than 1000 objects , other than maintanability, is there any other performance concerns or othet negative implications?

Thanks for any suggestions.

We are using BOXI 3.1 SP4

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

The universe designer guide has a chapter on this!

Check out Note 1203596 - Universe Designer limitations

and Note 1541550 - Large Universe Structure Halts Web Intelligence

to answer your question broadly, yes performance will start to degrade after about 500 objects, due to the number of joins and contexts etc.

regards,

H

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh

I dont think that should be a problem from the performance side as Universe is a semnatic layer. Not the actual Data base where you start thinking of overloading. In regarding the count limit i do not have the exact number but in my present universe which is being used since two years has more than 1000 objects.

The only thing that will cause a problem is regarding the tracking of these objects. For this you can maintina proper class structures and then this will make life easy

Regards

Shyam Rapeti