cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel 64 bit ODBC with BO BI 4.0 32 bit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I'm trying to have an ODBC connection from Excel 64 bit to universe design /or information design tool ( BO 4.0 the trial version supplied by SAP)

every time it gives me the error message (the specified DSN contains an arcticture mismatch between the driver and the application)

I checked this error on the internet and understood that it means excel 64 and BO 32 mismatch

am I right and any solutions or ideas?

I converted the excel to CSV and tried to use the generic business object open connectivity to connect to CSV file it also gives me an error that has no error message and no explaination

Please help !!!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are using IDT or UDT you need to create the ODBC DSN on 32 bit middle ware, if you are running the reports through the BILaunch pad , create the DSN using 64bit middleware on the BO server machine.

Thanks,

Pramod.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply can you please clarify the answer

What do you mean by 32 bit middle ware

can you give an example for such software

should I nstall it on the same server of BO or on aseparate server?

Thanks again

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

this is fundamental understanding. If you don't know this distinction, you should not be administering the system, else ask your IT / System Administrator.

The point being is: most Client O/S and Client Applications are 32-bit - hence the drivers/middleware and DSN needed 32 bit.

Next, Platform Servers tend to be 64 bit, including their Processing tier, hence the drivers/middleware and DSN needed 64 bit.

Therefore, when you have developed a report on 32bit, you need to replicate the administration of connectivity on 64 bit too.

Regarsd,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I know these fundamentals but my situation here is some how different

I need to use DSN 32 on a 64 platform because the BO 4.0 trial version is only available in 32 bit and can't be installed on 32 bit OS only 64 bit ( I tried and failed)

I managed to get Oracle client 32 bit working in this environment and mange to connect to the DB but for personal files (e.g. Excel) I can't configure ODBC to work

Thanks

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

3 things:

1) What is this "trial version" you speak of ? BI 4.0 RTC (i.e. SP00) ? or FP03 ?

2) FWIW - all BI 4.0 Platform Server Builds are 64-bit, no exceptions. (there was never a 32bit Server package)

3) Is there a 64-bit driver for office tools like Excel and Access? Are there 64 bit versions of these applications? (i don't think so)

Regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

1- I'm not sure what is the version and I can download it from

http://www.sap.com/solutions/sapbusinessobjects/sme/freetrials/index.epx (SAP BusinessObjects Edge BI)

note I checke the About tabe in CMC and says 14.0.0

2- This version of BO is 32 bit (x86) and I tried to connect using the 64 bit but couldn't

3- regarding office tools (e.g. excel) there are 2 versions 64 and 32 according to your OS (in office 2010)

Thanks for your answer

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sorry to say but any 4.0 product is 64-bit on the Platform Server. (Edge is identical as Enterprise in architecture, only reduced in functionality.)

If you're saying "BO is 32 bit (x86)" then that is not a server process - but rather a client application.

- Have you got any error text which could be used for a keyword search ?

- Any which version of office and middleware is supported as a datasource for your client ? (check the PAM to see if you meet requirements)

Regards,

H

p.s. i think we will containue to go round in circles here as i suspect you are new to BO/BI, so i would encourage you to open an SAP OSS Support message, so that you can get 1-2-1 help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In BI4.0 all the server applications are 64 bit and the client tools are 32 bit drivers.

When you are creating and tesing the connection int IDT or UDT or running the reports using WRC, these tools will use only 32bit database drivers on that machine as you know IDT ,UDT, and WRC are client tools .

But when you run the the reoports from BILaunch pad , the report will utilise the server resources and the server is a 64 bit aplication it looks for 64 bit drivers only.

As Henry suggested if you work with support by creating OSS ticket , you will get a clear idea by a screen sharing seesion with any support engineer .

Thanks,

Pramod.

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry for the inconvenient I cause to you and Henry

the misunderstyanding comes from my mistake of installing the client and the server on same machine

I'll fix this error by installing them on separate machine

By the way if I have the eligibelity to have the support with sap I'd have raise the ticket long ago

any how as Henry mentioned I'm new in BO and need your experties to help me

Thanks you all for your help

BR,

Answers (0)