cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP System copy - Oracle DB Schema can be changed?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are having BW3.1 (WAS 620) running on Oracle 9.2. Recently we did system copy to use in our training environment.

Note: We didn't followed the SAP recomended way of system copy (Homogenous System copy). We copied the data files at OS level and restored on the newly installed training server create the control file by changing the SID name to the training servers SID.

The database still carries the old schema and ownership... but any how database is up and SAP also up and running.

I would like to know if some one can help me what will be the implications if I dont change the schema and ownership?

Will it be a problem from functional aspects?

How can I take the ownership of the Oracle schema? can I rename the Schema?

I would appreciate your response in advance!!

Thanks

Guru

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guru,

Reg, the system copy OS level, I tried doing the same and changed the script and updated in target. But when starting the Oracle " Startup" giving Controlfile not properly initialized..

Do you have any document of what you have done???

Please send me across on pcdhas@gmail.com

Regards,

Prash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The implications are more on the maintenance level. Lets say the schema of the database original database is i.e. SAPC11 (c11adm and orac11 will be your OS users).

If you restore the database with the same OS users on the new machine all will be fine and nothing needs to be changed.

If you restore the database with i.e the OS users c12adm and orac12 your database schema will still be SAPC11. You will need to adjust the environment variables (don't know for sure if these are the only ones....)

dbs_ora_schema=SAPC12

dbs_ora_tnsname=C12

The biggest impact will be confusion. Technically it will work fine, but you might make some stupid mistakes

Hope this helps,

Pascal Ottens

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we made many system copies with this method and I confirm what Pascal Ottens says in his reply. Of course you must drop and recreate OPS$users (if changed) and SAPUSER table (OPS$user schema) to avoid ora-1017 i.e. in DB13.

Franco

Former Member
0 Kudos

No. I wasted about a month to find out if I can do it. if you like, you could export it, drop all tables, recreate with new schema, and import it. But BW3.1 having more than 10,000 segments, system copy via sapinst would be simpler.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you ever get an answer to this? I want to copy production CRM to test using same method. Did you have a problem with the j2ee schema?