cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simultaneous 2 Installations on Single Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts

I am not a basis consultant, I need some clarifications for our company, We have Iseries OS platform & we have a limited timelines.

Requirement : We need to take a system copy from Production system to development and quality which are on a single server.

Question : Can we start 2 system installations (eg: Dev & QAS) on a single server, at same time.?

Kindly confirm ASAP.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Adisha,

Yes, you can run 2 installation concurrently in the same server. By now, rhere are 2 types of installation tools: the Windows-based SAPinst with TMKSVR and the SAPinst on PASE version that run natively on the i. Depending on your product, you will be using one of these.

First, In the case where you use the SAPinst/TMKSVR installer, you need to make sure you isntall 2 different TMKSVRs instance on the IBM i servr, using off course different instance number and ports. Consider not using consecutive instance and port numbers. You can start and run multiple sapinst instance in the same Windows machine. Make sure to use a different TMKSVR instance for each SAPinst.

When you are using the SAPinst in PASE version, the port number conflict it's managed by SAPinst, so you just make sure that if you start the SAPinst GUI separately, you pick the ports SAPinst is expecting.

In any of the cases, when you are running the installation you need to be aware of the following:

- Starting with NW 7.0, SAPinst "guesses" the next possible instance number. If you don't chose your own ones, it's probable both would try to install using the same guessed instance number

- Starting with NW 7.0 Ehp1, a Dignostic Agent is installed per SAP host. If you have no Agent already installed, you could end up having problems of duplicate instances there too.

Hope the answer is not too long!

Regards,

Luis Gonzalez

Answers (0)