cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI 7.20 Error - Logon Balancing error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is my first post to SDN. I have tried to search this issue, but was not able to find a resolution so posting it. Hope this time I get it resolved.

I have installed SAP GUI 720 with patch level 8 and copied the saplogon.ini file given by our company's client. However, I am still not able to login to the system. It is a group server logon.

The error I get is

Logon Balancing error 88:Cannot connect to message server (rc =9),

If I select the detailed error description it says

Error:hostname <the message server name> unknown

I am using Windows XP Professional Ver 2 SP3 on my end

I have copied the port names in the services file in the etc folder and also ensured that there is an extra line in the end.

I also have my desktop system's hardware and IP in the client's network. (We are in India and our company's client is in US)

Any suggestions, what I am missing?

Edited by: raisingh on Feb 14, 2012 5:56 PM

Edited by: raisingh on Feb 14, 2012 6:36 PM

I need to move this post/question to SAP GUI. Not sure how to do that. Would the moderators please move it?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You mentioned the ping also dont recieve any response.

Try to ping application server also try below option.

Click Start --> Run --> type "sapgui servername instancenumber" --> press enter. Now you should be getting login screen.

If not then contact your desktop support team to check the antivirus or network settings in your laptop.

Regards

Naveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip Naveen and Rajesh.

While I try to ping the message server, the ping request cannot find the message server

the sapgui method suggested by Naveen works - but in some cases it doesn't work.

Is it possible that the tcp ports are blocked either at our end or at our client's end / both ends?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been facing the same error, although a slightly varied version. The Dev systems seem to be facing the issue, while the quality is fine. And this happened without any change in the system landscape. I have checked the services file as well as ini file, everythign seems to be in order including the ports. If there is any other detail that is missed please share.

0 Kudos

This error

"Error:hostname <the message server name> unknown"

seems to be a name resolution problem (DNS or hosts file)

Are you able to ping that hosstname in this desktop?

ping "<the message server name>"

Clebio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good point. I tried to ping the message server, but i get no reply.

I even tried to telnet the TCP ports. no luck yet.

Now, one good thing, I got the IP address of one of the prod systems to instead of the group logon, I put the IP add using the Cust App server option and I was able to login. so, it looks like the ports are not enabled from our end ?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Vish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I put the IP add using the Cust App server option and I was able to login.

If you able to login using IP Address, you should be able to use Logon Load Balancing...

Try this.

Add host entry with the Production IP in your "etc\hosts" file.

Like:

<Production IP_Address> <message_server_hostname>

Then use hostname (which is used above) in SAP Gui Configuration for Logon Load Balancing.

OR instead of specifying "hostname" of message server you can directly use "IP Address" of Message Server.

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

use this command:

notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services

you forgot to adapt your "services" file with load balancing entries such as:

sapmsPRD 3600/tcp

then, enter a blank line and save your file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Eric, I have also copied all these in the services file but it still does not work.

I observed that with the Patch Level 8 ....the message server information was not captured in my logon pad, so I have rolled back to patch level 0...no luck yet..