cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Import/Transport

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am doing a client refresh from PRD to QAS using client export/import method. Exported PRD data using SCC8 and now importing it into QAS using STMS transport. The export took 8 hours while the import ran for about 3 days. My Oracle 10.2.0.4 DB size is about 180GB and have updated DB statistics prior to running the import.

I am looking at ways to improve the import performance.

1. During the import it generated hundreds of redo logs. Will turning off archive logs help to improve performance?

2. I am using a shared transport directory for all my servers DEV, QAS and PRD. The shared transport directory is in DEV.

As the exported file is located in DEV, the import in QAS has to read the exported file remotely, Will it helps if I transfer the

exported files to QAS and run the transport locally on QAS?

I would appreciate anyone who has done the above to share if this will improve the Import performance.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you over writing the target client ? or has it been deleted first. Tiidy up the target client it will speed up your import.

Also have you thought about a remote client copy? you could depending on resourse parallel copy.

Mark

Read note: 68896

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check this [http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/sap-on-db2/client-copy-performance-tip-12476]

Regards,

Venkata S Pagolu

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

you can check the different method of Export and Import

[Client Export/Import|http://www.scribd.com/doc/7000136/Client-Export-Import]

and read these SAP Note

Note 550226 - CC-ADMIN: Copying the Customizing takes a long time

Note 67205 - CC-INFO: Copying large and productive clients

Regards,

rupali_karbhari3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. Yes...by swtiching off archive logs will help you to improve performance.

2. why you are saying that Quality system needs to read file remotely. is your Dev and Qua system located at differnt site?

If yes, then yes you can enable local trans directory for Quality system. pls follow below steps to perform this action:

1. create /trans structure in Qua OS level same as Dev

2. Delete quality system STMs configuration from group and make quality system as self domain controller.

3. change SAP profile parameter DIR_TRANS of Quality system = /qua system server/usr/sap/trans

and restart SAP instance to make it effective

4. change parameter transdir of tarnsport profile /usr/sap/trans/bin of quality system and point it to quality system

Regards,

Rupali

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do not wish to use remote client copy as this will cause both PRD and QAS to be unavailable during the copy process.

With client export/import, downtime for PRD is minimal as this only happen during the export process.

What I mean by QAS reading the file remotely is as I am using a shared transport directory (directory located in DEV), the exported files B90KX00010 & B90KT00010 are stored in DEV. When I start the client import/transport in QAS using STMS, it will be reading the exported files located in DEV which means there will be considerable network traffic during the import. Not sure if performance will improve if I copy the exported files to QAS, change the transdir to a local drive in QAS and then run the import. However doing so means I will not be able to perform any regular transport (DEV-QAS) for other clients in QAS during the duration of Import as the transdir is now changed to local.

Anything that I need to be aware of if I decide to switch off archive logs before running the Import?

Of course I will take an Online + redo log backup before disabling the archive logs.