cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see OLAP connections in Universe Designer

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using BOBJ 4.0.. I created a connection to an analysis server in the information design tool. I then published it but I can't see it in my universe designer. Did i miss something?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

These 2 tools aren't interoperable.

Yes, you can confirt an 'old/legacy' .UNV format Universe (from Designer) into a new .UNX format universe (in IDT)

but not the reverse.

Once you've authored a UNX - that new markup is final - and will use new processing architecture on the BIPlatform

regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry I"m a little confused. IF i can't use universe designer on an OLAP connection how do I build WEBI and Portal designer off the connection?

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

You simply consume the OLAP.cns (to BEx query) directly in WebIntelligence.

Unfortunately, there is no possibility to author/modify a business layer (universe outline) on an BW BEX OLAP connection from IDT. Instead, it generates all the metadata 'on the fly' behind the scenes. (which is why some people refer to it as a 'transient universe')

this product decision was made strategically to 'simplify the story' when connecting to BW.

Regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you! That guided me in the right direction. SOO to do this you will use the IDT and generate a data foundation then business layer. This will generate the universe that can be used!

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Almost : Data Foundation and Business Layers are typically for "Relational Universes" (but also OLAP-vendors: MS Analysis Server and Hyperion Essbase )

-> BEX Query access in IDT is an "exceptional case" because there is no notion of Universe ontop of BW connection (it will tell you 'not supported' if you try! )

Regards,

H

Answers (0)