cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports 2008 - Dymo Label Issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have two Dymo Twin Turbo label printers installed on two different Windows XP Pro machines. They both are using the same printer driver and have the same configuration. The Paper Size set for both of them is 11355 Multi-Purpose. They are both also shared.

On my laptop, I have added both printers (going to call them Printer 1 and Printer 2 for reference below). When I added both printers, I noticed that the Paper Size was not what I had set it to on the computer the printers are physically connected to. The Paper Size defaulted to 30252. I talked with Dymo and was instructed that this is how it works when a shared printer is added and I needed to configure it. No problem, I've seen that before.

So for both printers I added on my laptop, I changed the Paper Size to 11355 Multi-Purpose and applied the changes.

Now I have a label report built and in Page Setup, I have set Printer 1 as the Printer and Paper Size defaults to 11355. I save the report and then preview it. Then I print a label. The printer the defaults when I print is Printer 1 and the Paper Size is 11355. So I print the label and it prints correctly on that printer. Then I print another label, only this time, I select Printer 2 from the list. When I do this, the Paper Size that is defaulted in is not 11355 Multi-Purpose (which should come from my printer settings), instead it defualts to 30252. The same thing happens if I set the default printer for the report to Printer 2 and then try to print to Printer 1.

Why is it doing this? Why is it not pulling what I have setup under Printer Propertes for the printers setup on my laptop? This has been driving me nuts all day today and I need to get this issue resolved.

FYI - Crystal Reports 2008 build 12.3.0.601.

Thanks for any responses.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Go to Page Set up and try the 2 options Dissociate and No Printer in various configurations.

Oh and get Fix 3.4 or SP 4, there were a few printer fixes in those patches.

Don

Edited by: Don Williams on Feb 10, 2012 5:51 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, tried doing the Dissociate Formatting Page Size and Printer Paper Size, and get same issue. Then tried doing No Printer and then each printer didn't print correctly. It randomly chose a paper size for each printer even though I had specified the size.

I installed Service Pack 4 and went back through trying all the steps again - same problem. Would work fine for printer specified, but not for other printer.

So at this point, still have same issue as originally described.

Thanks

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Duane,

I ran into this problem years ago trying to print labels to a network label printer. The problem is the way Crystal saves the printer information in the report.

When you design a report to a specific printer the report saves the printer name, port, papersize, orientation, etc. in the report. If you have your report print to a different printer, all that information is ignored and goes to the new printer's defaults.

I believe the original reason was because Crystal doesn't know if the new printer will support the saved settings and will crash if the printer settings are incorrect.

So the only way I've gotten around this was in my application, I removed the printer button from the toolbar and added my own that passes the printer object to the report engine then prints the label.

The other option I done is to have the labels only print to the local printer. If they are both setup properly then it should be fine.

Good luck,

Brian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information. The thing that gets me is why Crystal is not pulling the settings that I have configured for the printer on my installed machine? Why is it pulling some random default? It must be getting that from somewhere in the registry.

I guess I'm relagated to having two different sets of reports - one for one printer and one for the other printer. That is a ton of overhead to manage and maintain simply because Crystal won't pick up the settings I have configured for the printer on my machine. Seems ridiculous that it won't do that.