cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Migration and OS Upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All ,

We have a standalone ECC 6.0 EHP1 box running on Windows 2003 server with Microsoft SQL 2005 database.We are planning to Migrate ECC to New Hardware(ISCSI SAN) and at the same time Upgrade Windows to Microsoft 2008 R2 server.

Can please let me know what are the things to be taken care for this kind of Hardware migration plus OS.You can point me to some links or any SAP note please.

Thanks

Edited by: Khaiser Khan Mohammed on Feb 9, 2012 9:24 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Regarding windows migration, this is the specific note:1494740 - SAP system migration from Windows 2003 to 2008 (R2) 64-bit

Check also: Note 174911 - Determining the hardware key (customer key):

"Only Windows uses a hardware key that does NOT depend on the hardware. A new installation of Windows definitely causes the hardware key to change."

You might need to request a new license. In this case, you can install a temp license and request the new license after the upgrade. This is not a big problem.

You can also request a GoingLive check in order to optimize your SAP system to your new HW resources:

www.service.sap.com/goinglivecheck

Cheers,

Diego.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Diego,Deepak .

I forgot to include that we also planned to upgrade SQL server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 R2 .So to list we are going to do

1.Hardware Migration

2.OS Upgrade to Windows 2008 R2.

3.SQL server 2005 Upgrade to SQL server 2008 R2.

The Sequence of high level steps I planned on the new hardware are below.

1.Install windows 2008 R2 server.

2.Install SQL server 2005 .

3.Restore the source Backup on SQL server 2005.

4.Upgrade SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 R2.

5.Use Database Specific System copy Method to get the SAP on it.

Can you please let me know if the above sequence is in the right order or anything better I can go with.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

2.Install SQL server 2005 .

3.Restore the source Backup on SQL server 2005.

4.Upgrade SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 R2.

5.Use Database Specific System copy Method to get the SAP on it.

You can simplify it with below:

2.Install SQL server 2008

3. Copy and attach the datafiles & log file to new server

4. go to MSSQL studio -> your SID database -> properties -> options -> other options -> change it to SQL server 2008.

5. Use Database Specific System copy Method to get the SAP on it.

You dont need to install SQL server 2005 and upgrade it.

Cheers,

Nicholas Chang

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Nicholas ,

Have you done this before?Actually I've very less experience on MS SQL Server so not very sure about it.Anyways,I will give a try on sandbox system.

Can you point me to some link or SAP note ,Just wanted to make sure that I don't make any mistake.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've did it multiple times and no issue, is very simple and straight forward since mssql server 2005 is compatible with 2008.

Thanks,

Nicholas Chang

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Nicholas ,

I will try that and will get back to you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicholas ,

Can please let me know what are the PROS and CONS of migrating to SQL Server 2008 R2 by attach/detach or backup restore method using a DB Backup from older release like SQL Server 2005?

1) Will I be able to use all the new features (Like Compression etc etc ) of SQL server 2008 R2 if I go with the above method??

2) Is SAP recommend to go with upgrading SQL Server 2005 to 2008 R2? and go with db specific system copy procedure.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Were you able to following these steps on an HA system as well? 

Thanks,

Anthony

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

During such migration you need to ensure that data is consistent. You need to refer System copy guide and run some SAP suggested reports before migration and post migration to ensure data is consistent after migration.

You may refer follow-up activities on target system from this system copy guide

a) Re-configure STMS

b) Re-adjust RFC destionations

c) Delete cancelled and finished jobs using report RSBTCDEL

d) check spool consistency

e) Delete entries in table DDLOG for buffer synchronization

f) Synchronize the buffers as described in SAP Note 36283 and adapt the client information for the

logical system

g) Create new operation modes and remove old ones:

h) Create new operation modes and instance definitions.

i) Maintain the timetable using the new operation modes.

j) Delete the old operation modes and old instance definitions.

k)Redefine database actions (backup, update statistics, and so on) if you have used the DBA calendar

in the source system (transaction DB13).

l) FI customers: Run the job SAPF190 (accounting reconciliation) and compare the results to those

gained on the source system before the system copy

m) FI customers: Run the jobs RFUMSV00 (tax on sales/purchases), RAGITT01 (asset history sheet),

RAZUGA01 (asset acquisitions), RAABGA01 (fixed asset retirements) and compare the results to those

gained on the source system before the system copy.

n) CO customers: Run the report group 1SIP and compare the results to those gained on the source

system before the system copy.

o) Replace all existing PSEs in the target systems with new ones, which contain the new systemu2019s

information

Additionally you may refer SAP Note 1120872 - Hom.Het.System Copy SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SR3 for known issues with MSSQL database during migration.

Regards,

Deepak Kori