SAP for Higher Education and Research Discussions
Spark conversations about student engagement, research optimization, and administrative efficiency using SAP in higher education and research. Join in!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLCM - COHORTS in GENERAL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

I read all forums and pdf files to understand what the cohorts are. However, I did not get the idea!

Could you please explain what the cohorts are? Why should I use them? Could you please give some specific examples about the cohorts and the usage of cohorts?

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7

RobJonkers
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi GKOCAMAZ,

In SAP Student Lifecycle Management, students can be grouped together to perform certain administrative activities for them. These groups are called u201CCohortsu201D and students are assigned to them.

Cohorts can be created for:

- Students taking the same lessons during a certain academic period. In this case a clash-free timetable can be created for the students of the Cohort

- Mass Module Booking for groups of Students

- Group International students (e.g.)

Characteristics of Cohorts:

-When creating and/or changing a cohort, a u2018contextu2019 is selected to describe the administrative process for which the Cohort is used.

- Attributes must be assigned to each cohort

- Capacity, sessions of offering and context are checked during the set-up of the cohort.

Cohorts can be organized hierarchically and Subcohorts can be created for them.

Hope this helps.

Rob

0 Kudos

Thanks Rob!

But I think I still need a specific example. Like, could 'seniors' (final year students) be a cohort?

Thanks!

RobJonkers
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes that is a good example. You could select the students mentioned via a selection method which has a specific progression classification (check available selection methods via IMG and test them via trx PIQSELT1.

The Cohorts are meant to define groups of students based on specific attributes. With the standard selection methods you have a wide range of options to make a specific selection.

Examples of cohorts could be:

- International students outside of EU

- all registered students for session Fall in year 2012.

- all registered students for progam Biology

- Students registered for a specific assessment

- etc, etc.

br

Rob

0 Kudos

Hi Rob

About cohorts - I am looking for a solution in which a student registers to one of some event groups.

Each group consists of a specific event of some moduls.

The idea is to create "recomended timetable" that consists of specific events (of events packeges) of several modules. Each group might consist of the same moduls but not the same events.

Registering to a group will cause booking to the events and modules on the group.

Is this solvable by cohorts ?

0 Kudos

Hi Ayelet Yifrach,

yes, this is definitely possible and one of the use cases the cohort is designed for: You add the same modules to two or more cohorts (virtual or concrete group of students) and then use transaction PIQACADOFFER01 (event planning for cohorts) to plan specific events (or event packages) for each cohorts. Those appear only in the cohort, for which they are planned.

You can use these cohorts to show a time table and advice students how to book (module plan) or to assign students to the cohorts and perform mass booking to modules including the events for the group.

Dirk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rob, appreciate for your valuable responses.

I created a cohort for module booking (0001)

I linked it to an organization unit.

Under the cohort details section I completed the details about attributes of cohort, I choose the student who I want to register to a module, and I completed the context objects tab, I filled it with 3 student modules (a module group) . Everything seems clear however when I click module booking link above and than try to complete the module booking process, system gives an error and says 'modules could not be booked'.

I think there is something missing or something wrong.

Do you have any suggestions? ( Do you have any best practices or kinda documents that may help ? )

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos

Hi Gokhan,

there exist several reasons why a module booking may fail.

1st hint: When you perform mass booking, a pop up appears where you have to choose program and program type and have three buttons to proceed. One of them with an icon of a check and a pencil results in a detailed error protocol which might help you.

2nd hint: You could try the individual booking in student file to see, if there is any checking in place which is not specific for mass booking and blocks the module registration.

3rd hint: I often saw that users ignored a message like "objects could not be added to the context with the requested offering period" (I only know the German message, so the message could be somewhat different). If you had this, you cannot book and have to check the offering periods for your SM.

4th hint: If you have an old patch level of your system, you should check the marketplace. there were some notes with important corrections for mass booking in the last year.

Dirk.