cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to maximize SAP GUI width to fit screen resolution?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using a 1920x1080 screen resolution on my desktop and I would like to have SAP expand to the entire width so that I don't have to scroll horizontally all the time. Currently, it takes up less than half of the entire monitor and is just wasted space. I'm referring to the entire container size, not increasing font size. Similarly, I am trying to display more tabs on the screen at the same time instead of having to click the "next screen button (f7)". Can anyone tell me if this is possible and how to configure it?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I cannot understand how in 2015 SAP just can't make a responsive UI! Even websites do it! How difficult can it be to expand to the screen size? Every other program does. Fixed width is something from the 80's!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I could not agree more to this topic. The SAP UI is old, as in very old, and the endless scrolling just gets to me constantly. The lowest resolution I am working in, is 1680 x 1050 and the highest is 2560 x 1440 - (22", 24" and 27" monitors) talk about wasted space. Every other program on my PC has developed through the years, my hardware has developed and followed the greater need of the programs - this is also known as progress.

It just don't cut it to keep it as a policy to support something from (which in the world of IT) is the dark middle ages.

andreas_mau
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes it is possible, but you need to modify SAP screen layouts to do that. Most screens are limited to 80 or 132 characters when the ERP world was in its infancy. Now this is not needed any more and can be handled dynamically. For old SAP screens you can just resize it to any bigger size and size them to the latest resolution. You will then need to resize the underlying objects of the screen as well. Certain R2 and early R3 based screens will have some problems. If they use special processing with buttons and icons that is no longer supported, as it was originally set, will need more modifications since a screen modification might change such settings irretrievably. SAP could actually do this as a delivery in an enhancement package. These changes would be downwards compatible but why would you worry about that since release 4.6 is out of maintenance? It is also possible to do this with a separate instance delivery to replace old screens with new ones, hence only newer versions would get this update. It is really not understandable why such an easy change is not done.

former_member185558
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I was wondering if there are any latest updates in this area.

I was working in SPRO configuration and it is very difficult to adjust width of columns without loosing view of others in tables , while 60% of your computer screen is available!

I tried using both SAPGUI 740 and NWBC 5.0!

Any tips are appreciated.

Regards

fredrik_borlie
Contributor
0 Kudos

As Jude says. No you cannot!

But if your screen has a Pivot function you can get long lists to be visible.

So instead of having 1920x1080 you will have 1080x1920.

That is a completely new experience!

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Vasillas87,

Quick answer,- No.

This space is purely down to the application running, not the SAPGUI,

Please be aware that not all users will be using this resolution, and those that are not would run into

problems if the application changed.

A useful analogy would be the word application where there is a great deal of 'wasted space' when using a widescreen

monitor.

Applications are designed to be used with at least 800x600 screen resolution.

Refer to notes:

[525936 FAQ GUI in General and support strategy|http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/525936]

[ 26417 SAP GUI Resources: Hardware and software|http://service/sap/support/sap/notes/26417]

Regards,

Jude

Former Member

Hello Jude,

Do you know if SAP has any plans to support modern displays? 800x600 was the standard 12 years ago. Now only 1.2% of all users operate at this low res.

I've been searching for a way to do precisely what Vasillas87 asked about, and came across this forum.

I imagine the 98.8% of users that operate at higher resolutions would greatly appreciate the improvement!!

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Yevaud

I know things have moved on,but we still have to support the lowes res. for backwards compatibility

reasons.

Think of the problems we would get if we had users with 1024x768 screens where the data was truncated and

not visible :).

The issue is not actually with the SAPGUI itself,but with the application itself.

If you wish to raise a mesage, then enter the affected transaction code into SE93,=> Display =>

Double-click on 'Package' to give you the Application Component to raise a message in.

Regards,

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jude,

I get a "You are not authorized to use transaction SE93" message when I tried to follow your recommendation.

Here is link to a screen capture of my user experience. As you can see, more than 60% of the screen is wasted space.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9020/sapcm.jpg

Is there anything at all you can recommend that will allow me to improve the utilization of the available screen space?

Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

Kind Regards,

Yevaud

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Yevaud,

You need to check with your administrator about your permissions for transaction codes.

If you can advise me what the transcation code you entered in is,I can check it from my side.

regards,

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jude,

The transaction code I used to get to the screen shown in the screen capture was MM03.

If you were asking about a different transaction code, I'm not following you.

Did you look at the screen capture? It appears that at best it would be suited to an 600x800 screen (oriented in portrait).

Thanks for your reply

Regards,

Yevaud

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Yevaud,

Of course I looked at the screenshot,

My point is that the application program is responsible for the use of the available sceen area, not the SAPGUI itself.

Please raise a message in component LO-MD-MM for them to advise you on this issue.

Regards,

Jude

fredrik_borlie
Contributor
0 Kudos

> Here is link to a screen capture of my user experience. As you can see, more than 60% of the screen is wasted space.

>

> http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9020/sapcm.jpg

>

> Is there anything at all you can recommend that will allow me to improve the utilization of the available screen space?

> Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

>

> Kind Regards,

> Yevaud

Then I recommend to use the NWBC and add the sidepanel 😃

Look at slide 18 in:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/d042c667-ec2c-2d10-ce89-cb3ee3ce43ee

Or at slide 9 and 10 in:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/c0841926-8508-2f10-e2af-bb5625cb0c8f

Best regards

Fredrik

Former Member

I realize there are a few users out there who are still on 600 x 800 (less than 1%), but even 768 x 1024 monitors are now available for free or close to free (as computer users in mass have moved to even more higher resolution than this).  It is agonizingly inefficient to spend more time scrolling both horizontally and vertically than actually reviewing data on a regular basis, when you have 60%+ plus of your screen going unused. 

Some people complain when Microsoft no longer supports an older OS - and I would agree that Microsoft cuts the cord too early many times.  But in the case of SAP, the 600 x 800 is severely limiting, and is nothing short of extremely archaic for 99% of users.  Scroll, scroll, scroll... scroll back, scroll back, scroll back...  With more use of our screen space and the appropriate fields/columns showing, we would cut some of our transaction processing/review time by over 50%.