cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross Docking usage in TM 8.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am woking on Cross docking in TM 8.0, do we need to use EWM for it. If it is not neccesary, how and where do we define it? Could you please also explain usage of it in the system? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ali

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmed,

Actually my senerio is like that there are 3 locations.

Location A is shipping point

Location B is cross docking area location.

C, D and E are customers.

Big truck will go to location B from A (let assume that:big Truck capacity is 900 KG), then goods are unloaded and loaded 3 small trucks (Each capacity is 300 KG). Then they will go to C , D and E.

A --> B --> C,D and E

How can I manage this process?

Regards,

Ali

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ali,

There may be more than one way to accomplish your goal. But one scenario that I see is:

Start with three sales orders (or PO or STO...).

A-->C

A-->D

A-->E

Transfer to TM creates OTR and FU. FU will need to show 2 stages each (this is the part I am a little unsure of).

Plan all three stage 10s on one Carrier/Vehicle Resource generating a single Freight Order (A>B). Then plan each stage 20 individually creating 3 more Freight Orders (A>C, etc.). I think you have to process them separately since there is an unload point in the middle. If you had eWM, the cross dock feature would probably be employed there.

I am not sure how to set this up to accomplish this scenario through the Optimizer Engine and feel pretty sure there is more than one way. But I think you can start with a Transportation Lane from A>B, 3 more Trans Lanes from B>C, etc. and a 3 Transshipment Locations linking your first lane to each of the following 3 lanes.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by: Michael Appleby on Feb 10, 2012 1:26 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

I haven't seen it anywhere in TM. Actually my question is that is there any cross docking function in TM without EWM?

Regards,

Ali

former_member203115
Participant
0 Kudos

I'm not sure cross docking exists in TM - it's really not a Transportation function. It does exist in WM (ECC), I would imagine it also exists (with much more functionality) in EWM.

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ali,

I was unable to find any reference to Cross Dock features in TM. As Mac said, it is really a WM/EWM function.

However, it occurs to me that perhaps you need to look at Transhipment Locations and how they are used to link Transportation Lanes together.

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ali,

You can define Route in TM and depending on the transportation mode/stage, then you should be able to build a 'simple' cross docking scenario. If for instance the transportation mode of the first stage is road and the one's of the second stage is air then it's obvious that a cross docking should take a place in the airport or in the warehouse.

But, there is no direct integration between TM and EWM or WM to support cross docking scenario.

Best regards,

Ahmed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mike for your reply. But my main question is that can we use cross docking functiıon without EWM? If yes how can we use it?.

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ali,

Where do you see a Cross Dock feature in TM? I guess I still do not understand your question.

Regards,

Mike

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ali,

Crossdocking is a process in a warehouse where a shipment of material is received and immediately issued to a production area or into a new delivery without actually being put away into inventory (although the GR does take place). It is sort of like a GR and GI happening at the same time.

As such it would be a warehouse management function and not really a TM function. EWM would have such a process, but I am not so sure that WM or IM would (I don't know either way).

Regards,

Mike