cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material planning in several hierarchies and STO's for serials

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am not familiar with APO at all, and we are considering in purchasing it. First I have 2 very important questions about the APO funcionality:

1. Our business process in material planning is such, that we have a lot of warehouses that are orginized in a hierarchical formation. for example, warehouses 1, 2 and 3, are all considered "super warehouse 1". We have 5 levels of hierarchy: Warehouse -> super warehouse (level1) -> super warehouse (level2) -> super warehouse (level3) -> distribution center.

The warehouses in the lower level are the only ones managing stock, and are managed via reorder point and maximum stock levels. When they need to order more stock, they may address the distribution center directly. Now a calculation is made regarding the stock levels of the super warehouse (level1). It does not have it's own stock, its' stock is comprised of the sum of stock of the warehouses below it, same thing with the maximum stock level. As for the calculation: if the sum of stock in the super warehouse exeed the super maximum stock level, the order is automatically rejected because, that means that one of the other warehouses in the super warehouse is with excess stock and the super warehouses manager should transfer the stock between his warehouses. if the stock doesn't exeed the super maximum stock level, the same check is been made for a higher hierarchy in the chain (super warehouse level 2).. and so on.

I'm sorry for the long story, but is there a way to define the proper master data (hierarchies) in APO/SCM? and if so, can this material planning process be supported?

2. A much simpler question: In SAP standard (ECC 6.0) there is no possibility to plan the transfer of specific serials between storage locations - not with STO, and not with reservation. Can this be achieved with APO/SCM?

Thanks in advance,

Doron Oded

PP/MM Consultant

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member209769
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Oded,

Both your requirements are very special type of requirements.

As far as I know, they can't be handled in APO without a lot of custom development. So, if these requirements are really critical for you, APO is not the best fit solution for you.

Thanks - Pawan