cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI Number of CPU's license model: how to calculate (cpu, core, socket...)?

lorenzo_nicora2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I need to change my XI hardware and I'm thinking on upgrading to PI. As of today I pay per volume (old XI license).

The SAP Licensing Product guide mention that:

SAP Netweaver PI Licence metric: numbers of CPU's.

So I need your help to determine (kind of philosophic) what a CPU is.

Example: a server with an Intel Xeon X5650 that comes with 6 cores... Should I assume it is 1 CPU or 6 CPUs or any random number between 1 and 6?

Has anyone had to make such maths?

Thanks!,

Lorenzo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

For each CPU, the first processor core shall be multiplied by 1, and each incremental processor core is multiplied by 0.5. The sum for all CPUs shall then be rounded up to the next whole number

So based on this information I would say you have 6 Core CPU, it means 1+(5X0.5)=3.5(round)=4 CPUs.

So you should consider licensing for 4 CPUs for a server with an Intel Xeon X5650 that comes with 6 cores

Thanks

Madan Patil

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am moving it to NetWeaver Administrator forum as I believe you may receive more relevant replies here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please make use of the below stated commands to get the required details.

1. OS Command "prtconf" - This will list all your server configuration details...

devadm> prtconf

System Model:

Machine Serial Number:

Processor Type: PowerPC_POWER5

Processor Implementation Mode: POWER 5

Processor Version: PV_5_2

Number Of Processors: 2

Processor Clock Speed: 1499 MHz

CPU Type: 64-bit

Kernel Type: 64-bit

LPAR Info:

Memory Size: 15360 MB

Good Memory Size: 15360 MB

Platform Firmware level:

Firmware Version: IBM,SF240_371

Console Login: enable

Auto Restart: true

Full Core: false

From above command I can find that No of Processor is 2. However each processor can have multiple cores (2, 4 or 6).. to check that use the next command

devadm> pmcycles -m

CPU 0 runs at 1498 MHz

CPU 1 runs at 1498 MHz

CPU 2 runs at 1498 MHz

CPU 3 runs at 1498 MHz

This output shows there are 4 CPUs configured in the server. That means each processor is dual core and and each core is corresponds to one CPU in SAP.

You can make use of this command to check for your system as well.

Best Regards,

Vasanth G

lorenzo_nicora2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Mumble... I cannot test that command you propose because.... I still have to buy the hardware for PI.

And I'm asking this question because I don't want to have unpleasant surpises after buying the HW like PI licences fee sky rocketing just because I've bought a multi-socket instead of a multi-core.....

From your answer I understand that you consider 1CPU = 1 CORE. In this case an 6-core Xeon would be a disaster for my wallet (...).

And, just to make it more complex, what if I virtualize PI? How can I compute what a CPU is?

Thanks,

Lorenzo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The Best option is to contact SAP local office for Licensing Information, however just for Overview PI licence depends

1. Volume of messages transfer through XI from one system to another system

Refer to the forum

Regards,

Arjun

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Best option is to contact SAP. I have also seen PI license given based on Volume not based on CPU, but it was PI 7.0.

Regards,

Subhash