cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alerts for PI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have PI 7.3 environment. I would like to configure generic alerts for mapping, adapters,integration engine.

Is it mandatory that to configure alerts we require solution manager . Although my company has installed solution manager and proposes to have it as central monitoring, am bit confused how that fits in.

Irrespective of whether we have solution manager or not, can i still trigger alerts from PI alone.

Please let me know the relationship and how it affects having solman in PI landscape.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Kris,

>>>Is it mandatory that to configure alerts we require solution manager . Although my company has installed solution manager and proposes to have it as central monitoring, am bit confused how that fits in.

I guess there a clarification necassary -

a) you ONLY need solution manager for alerts in 7.3 if your PI is java stack only - in this case other abap stack is mandatory as java stack only PI does not have alert engine yet in itself

b) if your PI 7.3 is a double stack then you don't need solution manager for alerts

is that clear now ?

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

Thanks for your responses.

We are currently going with PI 7.3 dual stack.

As per your answer, if we configure alerts and alerts engine in PI itself, where does the need for solution manager comes into place.

Why do companies use it as central monitroing tool.

If i configure alerts without using solution manager, can it be later modified to have it triggered from solution manager.

What config changes do i need to that? Please do help me how to setup as we just installed PI 7.3.

Regards

Krish

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>>As per your answer, if we configure alerts and alerts engine in PI itself, where does the need for solution manager comes into place.

these are two different things:

1) need for solman (or any other abap stack for that matter as it does not have to be solman) for PI alerts (only for PI 7.3 java stack)

2) solman's PI monitoring (full blown) for any PI 7.3

>>>>Why do companies use it as central monitroing tool.

if you have multiple PI's it's better to do monitoring from one place then from multiple right ?

>>>>If i configure alerts without using solution manager, can it be later modified to have it triggered from solution manager.

you can alway propagte alerts later on to solman - this is independent of having them inside PI's abap stack

>>>What config changes do i need to that? Please do help me how to setup as we just installed PI 7.3.

the range of monitoring options depends on the solman version (is it 7.1 EhP1 ? )

Regards,

Michal KRawczyk

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

BTW

some of the functions for monitoring in solman:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/c078174a-d494-2e10-af90-d74c22db38cc

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk