cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager 7.1 Installation hang on startup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to install Solution Manager 7.1 on a Windows 2008R2 64bit server with the SAP provided MSSQL database. I am using Java SDK 1.5 since the 1.4 is not available in 64bit and I read on a forum somewhere that I might as well use 1.5.

The installation goes without problems as far as I can see, the last thing I saw was the ABAP deployment and the next time I looked the installation progress window was replaced by a text window showing a log of the startup. The complete log is[ here |http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6498499/startup.txt] and it log goes on for quite a while and then abruptly stops in the middle of a statement.

Any ideas on what might have happend? This has happend twice before, when I concluded that it was a) lack of diskspace or b) too little RAM. I increased first one and then the other up to plenty of free disk and 6GB ram but I still get this error.

Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try to replace your kernel with latest one and see if it makes any difference or not.

As you have tested twice, was it stopped exactly at same table names?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry no I don´t remember if it got stuck at exactly the same place last time, but it was very similar.

I thought I was using the latest kernels. The installation asks twice for kernel and the first time I used this one:

Solman 7.1 Kernel 7.20 Windows Server on x64 64bit ( Or could have been the same but UC-kernel, it only accepts one of them)

The second time it asks for a kernel I used the SL Controller in package 51039102_13 which contains NW_7.02_Kernel_7.20_HP_AIX_SOL_z_OS. There is an SL CONTROLLER 700 in SWDC under Solman7.1->windows->mssql but that one is not accepted by the installation, I found on a forum that the one to use is 51039102_13.

If anyone of the kernels should be changed, is there a way to do that post-installation or do I have to start over fresh? It´s not too much of a hassle since the server is virtual but still, it would save time.

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

The installation is intelligent enough that it will not let you select invalid install files.

When it prompts for files, it will keep prompting you until you provide the correct ones....so you are past that phase and this means the correct media was provided when requested.

Secondly, you are installing 7.1, and not upgrading, therefore you have to have the correct kernel version for the installation, and if you were upgrading, it would upgrade it. Therefore it is not logical to conclude that the installation would fail because the kernel needs to be updated.

Lastly you want to check the log files in SAPINST_INSTDIR and also usr\sap\SID\DVEBMGS00\WORK\DEV_SERVER0

The installation has failed, so you need to examine these files to get a better idea why it failed.

Typically the log that gets displayed in the SAPINST GUI is usually not very helpful.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks thats very helpful. I´ve attached the dev_server0 log here. It´s seems the problem is related to initialation of Java VM. See end of log below:

Error occurred during initialization of VM

Could not reserve enough space for object heap

JLaunchIAbortJava: abort hook is called

*** ERROR => The Java VM aborted unexpectedly.

*** Please see SAP Note 943602 , section 'Java VM crashes'

*** for additional information and trouble shooting.

JLaunchCloseProgram: good bye (exitcode = -2)

The SAP note mentioned in the error text points towards that the property for maximum and inital heapsize must be set correctly so that -Xmx >= -Xms, but from what I can see they are set to exactly the same size.

Any ideas?

Rgds

Johan

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Johan

The error message is stating you don't have enough memory available.

Could not reserve enough space for object heap

Does your server have sufficient extended memory free when you try to start up the AS Java part?

Kind regards

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The server har 6GB of RAM which is the supposed to be the minimum requirement, there is nothing else on the server. I restarted the server and installation and it failed again but this time the GUI was still active and I was able to choose "retry" and that worked.

Furter down however on step 41 - "Prepare to install minimal configuration" it fails again and this time it does not work to retry.

Here are links to log and error message.

It is a bit more cryptic this time but I hope you can help. There seems to be plenty of physical memory available so I don´t think that´s the issue this time.

Thanks

Johan

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Johan

6GB isn't much for ABAP+Java + DB + Wily Introscope + Diagnostics Agent + Host Agent

That doesn't really look like the log file content of the SAPinst dev log in your temporary install directory.

Can you please check the latest logs SAPinst has written into and get more information out of those?

Looking at logs in SAPinst isn't all that great imho, I prefer checking the content of the logs outside SAPinst.

Kind regards

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, I´m not sure which files that are relevant. Here´s a few more:

sapinst_dev.log

sapinst.log

SUPPORT.SAR

Edited by: Wiqvist Johan on Feb 7, 2012 5:05 PM

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Johan

Looks line an extract you provided was from the right file but it's not really the most relevant part. From the sapinst dev log:

WARNING 2012-02-07 15:04:30.125

CJSlibModule::writeWarning_impl()

Execution of the command "C:usrsapTUBDVEBMGS00j2eectcLaunchOfflinectc.bat" finished with return code 1. Output:

1 file(s) copied.

java.io.BufferedInputStream@42704baa

Feb 7, 2012 3:04:22 PM ....tc.lm.ctc.OfflineTemplateImporterJAR [Thread[main,5,main]] Info: Start Execution of Offline CTC TemplatInstaller

Feb 7, 2012 3:04:22 PM ....tc.lm.ctc.OfflineTemplateImporterJAR [Thread[main,5,main]] Info: Looking for initial Properties in file '../../../config/usagetypes.properties'

Feb 7, 2012 3:04:22 PM ....tc.lm.ctc.OfflineTemplateImporterJAR [Thread[main,5,main]] Info: Loading of initial Properties-File successful

Feb 7, 2012 3:04:22 PM ....tc.lm.ctc.OfflineTemplateImporterJAR [Thread[main,5,main]] Info: Selected Usages:SolManager:SolManager Java

PerfTimes : loadNativeLayer: loading jperflib failed. no jperflib in java.library.path

Feb 7, 2012 3:04:28 PM ...ProviderFactory.initalize(Context)_1! [Thread[main,5,main]] Info:

Feb 7, 2012 3:04:28 PM ...rovider(ConfigurationProviderFactory) [Thread[main,5,main]] Info: !BrokerRegistry.register!ConfigManagerProvider

Feb 7, 2012 3:04:28 PM ...DataModelRepository.registerExtension [Thread[main,5,main]] Path: entering 'registerExtension'

Feb 7, 2012 3:04:28 PM ...DataModelRepository.registerExtension [Thread[main,5,main]] Info: registering extensions for 'http://www.sap.com/ctc/configurationmanager'

Feb 7, 2012 3:04:28 PM ...DataModelRepository.registerExtension [Thread[main,5,main]] Path: entering 'registerExtension'

Feb 7, 2012 3:04:28 PM ...DataModelRepository.registerExtension [Thread[main,5,main]] Info: registering extensions for 'http://www.sap.com/ctc/configurationmanager'

Feb 7, 2012 3:04:28 PM ...onControllerImpl.startUpProcessEngine [Thread[main,5,main]] Path: entering 'startUpProcessEngine'

Feb 7, 2012 3:04:29 PM ....tc.lm.ctc.OfflineTemplateImporterJAR [Thread[main,5,main]] Error: The class XMLPathUtil_1_5 is not supported in 7.0

Feb 7, 2012 3:04:29 PM ....tc.lm.ctc.OfflineTemplateImporterJAR [Thread[main,5,main]] Error: java.lang.IllegalStateException:The class XMLPathUtil_1_5 is not supported in 7.0

The error that you will have to solve is this:

java.lang.IllegalStateException:The class XMLPathUtil_1_5 is not supported in 7.0

C:usrsapTUBDVEBMGS00j2eectcLaunchOfflinectc.bat

You can find relevant posts on this on SDN:

ht[|]

Are you sure you are using the correct JDK? What's your Java home directory?

Solution Manager 7.1 runs with platform JDK 1.4.2 as it's a SAP Netweaver 7.0 EHP2. SAPJVM isn't there out the box.

Kind regards

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks a lot for all helpful advise. The installation went through fine after installing the 1.4.3.35 JDK. For anyone else who struggles to find the windows 64bit version of JDK 1.4.3 and the cryptographic library, you can get it from the SAP Partner login site, the login details are provided in the SAP-note mentioned above.

Edited by: Wiqvist Johan on Feb 8, 2012 10:46 AM

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Johan

Nice to hear your problem and solved and thanks for sharing the solution on the forum so others can also benifit from it.

Kind regards

Tom