cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solman 7.1: How to reduce Database size

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We installed a solution manager 7.1 SP3 for training purposes, about 3 months ago. Since then the database (MaxDB) is constantly growing, it is now at about 130GB (and rising) which we feel is too much.

I already adopted the BI Housekeeping settings which reduced DB-size by about 0,1% after the BI_HK job ran.

I already deactivated Monitoring features wihtin Solman for the connected systems.

I know that 130GB is not very much and that you normally don't reduce database size, but as it's a test system I thought there might be data that's not that critical. Also, I fear that the databse will go on growing wildly if we don't do womething against that.

Are there any other means (reports / tasks / jobs / hacks) to reduce the database size? Anything else I could deactivate (e.g. extensive logging) or activate (data aggregation, archiving) and how / where?

BR

Kanan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

My suggestion would be generic but really helps from an overall database size reduction in future:

1. Try to switch the EWA reports store to a file server. Look for sap help on this.

2. Think about a external document management system for all project documents.

Check Note 546685 - Archiving in Solution Manager (operation)

Srikar

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Kanan,

You need to do a database reorg.

Keeping in mind until that is done all deleting does in a data base is MARKED for deletion.

So no space is reclaimed unitl the reorg is done and the records marked for deletion are actually deleted.

Regards,

Paul

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Kanan,

I have installed a Solution Manager 7.1 SP03 system, and I installed using Oracle not max DB.

Right now the system is pretty pristine. The Database allocation is 146GB and of that allocate space I have used about 100GB

My data base size is 146, I do not have a shortage of disk space, and the DB will autoextend should I fill it up.

So my question would be of the 136GB what percentage is used? When you say it is growing, is it extending, or is it just

using more of the allocated space?

I am just now looking at a colleagues Solman 7.1 SP03 system. They have 176GB allocated to the database, but they have 104GB used. Their system has had a fair bit of use, but it is not a production system either, so it doesn't have a real world load on it.

So typically reducing the size of the database, would entail unload the database to a flat file, resizing the database, and then reloading the database. Typically this si a DBA function.

So I am not sure at what point a MaxDB databse would extend if you mean the physical size of the database is getting bigger. Still 136GB wouldn't be considered an unreasonable allocation as my system has 146Gb allocsated to the DB and my Colleague has

176 GB allocated. ButI only used 100GB and they have used many scenarios and has maybe 20 users and only has used 4 GB more than me. So what is the size of the used space verus the allocation?

You can remove various service sessions using report RDSMOPREDUCEDATA, but on a training system, I am not sure how much space that would free up. You can run a DB02 to see the allocation versus what is used, if you are not sure if 136Gb is the allocation or what space has been used. !f 136GB is the allocation, its actually low, and I suspect it is, since MaxDB tends to have a smaller foot print than Oracle. But if it is the space used and not the total allocation, then it seems very high for a training system..

Hope this helps some.

Regards,

Paul

naveen_kumar1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi,

Please check if archiving is turned on in the database. You can turn off if this is a demo system.

Check SAP note 16513

You can find more information about this topic is available is in the

MaxDB documentation (Note 767598) in the glossary, under the keyword

"administration".

Regards,

Naveen.