cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DR SAP Solution Query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are in the middle of creating a DR solution for our SAP system (ERP and PI / XI). We are using software replication to replicate the data from the Production servers to the DR servers.

We have built copy of the production systems in the DR site, the only difference is that have different server names, all config should be the same. In the event of a invocation the production server names will be changed in DNS to point to the IP address of the DR servers, SQL will start, then SAP then then instances on the DR servers. Users would then just need to restart SAPGui.

We are working with a third party that are saying they we need to replicate files within the SAP install dir (/usr). I feel that really we should only have to replicate the SQL database files.

If any changes are made to the production servers this will be manage via a change controll process that will ensure that the same update is applied to the DR server as the production servers.

From my understading all we would really need to do is ensure that the SAP config files are the same on both servers (which would be managed by change control), and ensure that the correct database files are replicated accross.

Do any of you know if there are any files within the SAP dir that should be repliacted to the DR Site otherwise the solution will not work?

BTW we run SAP on Windows 2003 with SQL 2005.

(If this the wrong location for this post can you advice where I should post it)

Thanks in advance

Joe

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

As I understand that you have an ERP and XI system on your landscape. So, you want to configure a DR system for each SAP installation.

From ERP system point of view, you don't need to replicate "/usr/sap" filesystem with the DR. If you are running on Oracle, you can use data guard to install a disaster system.

From XI/PI scenario, point of view, in addition to the redolog shipment you need to replicate "/usr/sap/<SID>/<Instance>/j2ee" folder, as well

These scenarios will be the same for both systems, except the database DR configuration.

I hope that it is clear.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

Thanks for your help.

So just to confirm, as long as we build the DR systems as a copy of the production system (only difference is server names). then in reality we only need to either replicate the SQL database files, and logs. Or carry out a database restore for the last successfully backup, except for the case of XI where we would also need to replicate or restore the J2ee folder? ("/usr/sap/<SID>/<Instance>/j2ee).

What data changes in the j2ee folder?

Regards

Joe

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> for the case of XI where we would also need to replicate or restore the J2ee folder? ("/usr/sap/<SID>/<Instance>/j2ee).

>> What data changes in the j2ee folder?

For example, java archive files that has been deployed at the primary site, should be copied to the standby site, also. You can achieve this operation, by using "robocopy". Additionally, you can exclude "/usr/sap/<SID>/<Instance>/j2ee/cluster/server<x>/temp" and "/usr/sap/<SID>/<Instance>/j2ee/cluster/server<x>/log" folders from the replication.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik