Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle startup ++ ORA-00214 control file xyz inconsistent with control fil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I get an error about which I know how to solve but I don´t know why it´s caused

and how to avoid

I installed an IDES ERP 6.0. System is properly working after installation .

System is : IDES ERP 6.0 , Oracle 10.2.0.5 , WS server 2003

But now arrises what I don´t understand.

I shutdown the newly installed system properly , means

1. Stop all SAP instances via SAP MMC

2. Stop SAP processes at OS level

3. Log in at Oracle db as sysdba

4. Shutdown Oracle database via "shutdown". Database shuts down correctly

5. Stop Oracle processes at OS level

Problem :

If I make a backup of that IDES system which is down and restore it again and startup the IDEs in reverse order

means : 1. start Oracle processes at OS level 2. log in at Oracle as sysdba 3. sql : startup --> I get the error message as mentioned above , means different "control files" I know that I can solve the problem by copying the newer control file over the older one and start the database ...

But I don´t understand why this is caused . I made a correct shutdown process, made a correct backup.

But after restore of that backup I get that message of different Oracle control files. I verified this with

more than one installation. Always same result.

Can I avoid that error by changing shutdown process or do I have to do other things to

avoid it ?

Your help is very appreciated

Oscar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

you are using brbackup and brrestore?

use brrestore to restore control files before restoring full backup.

and then do recovery if this is online backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Henry thanks for your answer,

but I don´t understand the failing mechanism. I made a partition backup of partition with

True Image and a restored partition with True image, so all should be as before.

After properly working IDES installation I can stop central instance, message server and related OS processes,

shutdown Oracle database and start all again as often I want - it´s working. Only if I use a partition restore of that system

I get the error message at database level which results in nomount of db - first time. So it must be a matter of Backup system

- could that be ?

Regards,

Oscar

former_member204080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In the below link Step by step recovery of oracle database on ORA-00214: control file incosistent is mentioned.

http://www.orafaq.com/node/2521

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for replies