cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Installation in MSCS - SAP cannot be accessed via virtual host name

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have installed SAP NW 7.1 CE in MSCS for High Availabilty. Our primary application server is installed in a separate server. I can only access SAP via the hostname of the primary application server (i.e. http://<hostname of primary appserver>:5<instance#>00/nwa) and not via the virtual hostname of the MSCS cluster. Is there any configuration I have missed? I have followed all the preparation needed for HA installation.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you want HA, you need at least 2 app servers and a SAP Web Dispatcher.

With your current configuration only the SCS is HA.

You could have installed the PAS on one node of the cluster and the second app server on the 3rd server.

Regards,

Olivier

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello sameysha,

What do you mean by Virtual Hostname ? Message Server ? If yes, then Yes, you should be able to access nwa from your message server. try as http://<messageserver>:5<nr>00/nwa.

The Other Option is you can install WebDispatcher to loadbalance the CE and access the application thru common url. You can use SAPINST to install SAP WebDispatcher.

Refer to below link

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/Basis/InstallationofSAPWebDispatcherandSSL+Setup

Thanks,

Arjun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arjun,

The message server can run on either node since SCS is installed in MSCS cluster. This is the reason I assume I can access SAP via the virtual hostname of the cluster. I tried to access SAP via the local hostname of the current active node but I can't still access SAP. I can only access SAP via the hostname of the primary application server.

Thanks.

Sameysha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok. I got what you are talking about. Node A and B has virtual node names and you install application using Virtual names and failover virtual hostnames instead of physical, Is this your concept ?

If yes, then you need to check your default profiles, environment variables and change all those values pointing to Virtual hostname instead of Physical and try again.

I have worked on this in UNIX and never tried in Windows..lets try . MMC is showing physical or Virual hostnames ?

Regards,

Arjun

Edited by: Arjun Venkateswarlu. on Feb 2, 2012 3:35 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arjun,

Yes, Node A and Node B has a virtual host name. We installed the application using its physical hostname. What I can see from MMC is SCS instance in virtual hostname, ERS in physical hostname of Node A and Node B and Primary Application Server in physical hostname where PAS is installed. We have separate server for our PAS.

Regards,

Sameysha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You have your Primary Appl. Server in a different server so this is the only way to access, the Central services are in Cluster but you cannot access them directly.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi AC,

If I can only access SAP through the primary application hostname then what will happen if I install additional application server to my existing installation? Since SAP is installed in High Availability (MSCS), then this will allow me to access SAP via the virtual hostname wherever nodes SCS is running. Do you have additional thoughts on this?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Sameysha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sameysha,

As already posted, you only has SCS in HA, the "normal" way will be that you has one CI and as many DI as you need and use a Web Dispatcher. If CI fails then WD will send the requests to remaining DI´s so you won´t loose service.

In MSCS if you install as per the guide, Instances are not HA because they are installed locally in each node, if you have two nodes then you install CI in Node A and DI in Node B, if Node A fails then SCS resources migrates to Node B, CI is out and you work with the DI installed in Node B.

To be able to use any of the Intances installed you need a Web Dispatcher that does the load balancing between the CI and DI´s, if CI fails then you get service from the DI´s.

Hope this clarifies this.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi AC,

Thanks for your inputs. This is very helpful.

Regards,

Sameysha.