cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zebra ITF English labels - need to add Chinese

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have ITF files that are the basis of our shipping labels printed from SAP to a Zebra 420 label printer. For English, this works fine. We have Chinese characters, however, that also must print on some of the English labels. In these cases, the 2nd line of the Customer name field of the label is Chinese, but the label that spits out shows ##### for this.

I use ASCII device type, method S to a windows host running SAPSprint. The language is loaded and the characters can be viewed in SAP.

Do I need to have the developer re-build the ITF file or is there an easier way to allow the printer to print both English and Chinese? When I switched the device type to SWINCF, I got the actual ITF file contents, but the Chinese characters did appear in one line of it all.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

aidan_black
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If the printer's internal character set can understand the Chinese characters, then it is possible that the following steps could work.

In the definition of device type ASCIIPRI via transaction SPAD, change the field '1. Characters set' from 1105 to a new value.

4110 - for UTF-8

4102 - for UTF-16

With the unicode encoding, the device typs should be able to handle the unicode characters. If the printer can also handle them, then this could work.

Regards,

Aidan

Former Member
0 Kudos

THanks for the tip, Aidan. Unfortunately, that did not work. I copied the ASCII driver to a new one (ZASCII) and then modified the character set to 4102 and also tested 4110.

4102 printed the label with a lot of random, non latin characters.

The printer, I believe, has the Chinese characters because when I print a label using an actual Zebra driver I get the ITA output, but in one line of that output I do see actual chinese characters.

aidan_black
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

the problem probably is that there is some command needed to switch the printer to the Chinese character set. I think you will have to check with Zebra.

Regards,

Aidan

Ryan-Crosby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would try codepage '8304'... if you look in the system code pages table TCP00 it specifies that this code page includes Traditional Chinese for front-ends.

Regards,

Ryan Crosby

Edited by: Ryan Crosby on Feb 1, 2012 3:08 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi friend,

Just see my post in the below link it will help you much in better understanding, also might help you in solving the issue.

Link : [Chinese character printing with Zebra printer|].

I think this will help you to solve the issue. If you still face issues please revert back to me i will help you.

Thanks,

Sri Hari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure if that will help us. All our zebra labels are created as ITF files. Does this mean we need to redevelop them as smartforms? Basically, right now, they print out fine in English using device type ASCII. When I switch to a zebra device driver, the label prints out the actual ITF file.