Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC 5.0 Password Security Risk?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts,

I've tested with a few different colleagues who are also running ECC 5.0 and am consistently finding issues with the system password validation.

As an example, assume login/min_password_lng parameter (minimum password length) on a password is 8. User is able to enter a password with 8< characters, which is commonly known and OK from my perspective. The issue is, it appears that the system is only performing a validation on the first 8 characters, not anything exceeding that, and I don't believe there is a max_password_lng parameter available.

Am I wrong in viewing this as a significant identity management risk? (Not referring to SAP IDM the product... just identity management in principle)

Would appreciate both points of view: BASIS perspective as well asCompliance/Risk/Audit.

Rgds

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The password rules depend on the NW version. Please check these notes:

Note 2467 - Password rules and preventing incorrect logons

Note 862989 - New password rules as of SAP NetWeaver 2004s (NW ABAP 7.0)

I don't understand what do you want to validate....

Cheers,

Diego.

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The password rules depend on the NW version. Please check these notes:

Note 2467 - Password rules and preventing incorrect logons

Note 862989 - New password rules as of SAP NetWeaver 2004s (NW ABAP 7.0)

I don't understand what do you want to validate....

Cheers,

Diego.

0 Kudos

Diego,

Thanks for pointing me towards those notes, though they don't fully address my concerns...

Our technical landscape is as follows - SAP ECC 5.0 SR1, SAP NW 04, SPS 9

My main concern is that users are shown an error message if they enter any fewer than 8 characters. Myself (and many other advanced users of SAP) will often set passwords with 8+ characters, but my assumption was that the system performs validation checks on the full string, not just the first 8 characters.

Now it seems like the parameters that are checked (i.e. login/min_password_lowercase, login/min_password_uppercase, login/min_password_specials, ...) are only checked on the first 8 characters, so a user who thinks they are building a very strong password by adding additional special characters or numbers, etc. after the first 8 characters is actually not building a stronger password at all. Which in my mind, if a hacker knows that only first 8 characters are being checked, and given some of the pre-existing constraints used by SAP (i.e. ? or ! cannot be the first character of a password), in my opinion the system is much more vulnerable to security exploits.

Give this a try, see what happens:

Take whatever value you have in login/min_password_lng parameter, add 2 additional characters (using my example above, password length = 10), and save that as your password. Now paste just the first 8 characters of your 10-character password... Are you able to log into the system?

If not, what ECC version/NW stack of SAP are you running?

0 Kudos

Hello,

I cannot enter a 10 character password in NW '04, ECC 5.0. In the sapgui screen I only have space for 8 characters in the password textfield. This is a limitation of NW'04. In a NW 7.01 I can enter longer passwords, up to 40 characters.

Cheers,

Diego.

0 Kudos

Give it another try - even though the password field appears as if it is constrained to 8, I'm pretty sure you can still enter 10 if you are using ECC 5.0/NW 04.

If that works, then try again with only the first 8 of 10 characters pasted into the field. Can you still access the system, both with the 10-lng password and the 8-lng?

I'm interested to see if you get the same result.

Thanks again for your help and prompt replies.

0 Kudos

Wei,

You can write a password like "test1234567890abcdefgh" but the valid password is "test1234", the other characters you write just doesn´t matter, you can write a book after the eight character if you want ;=) but nothing will happen.

Cheers,

Diego.

0 Kudos

Thanks Diego for your perspective.