cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Update create a new entry in DB Tables?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just a quick one.

Suppose i have an existing record which i checked out exclusively and made changes to some fields of that record now does the Database make an entry for this particular checked out record?

if Yes.what happens to my original record in database?.can database contain two records with the same key?.

Thanks in Advance

Sharma.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

When we check out records it creates an temporary record with an temp Id,

so at a time, we have two versions of a record is available.

The original record is displayed to the user in locked mode, the user are not allowed to modify the records.

The user who checked out the records see both copies of the record, once the modification is done on the checkout record,

dB commit is executed when the record is checked in, and the record is modified in the dB.

Thus only one record i made available

Hope this clear your doubt

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

Thanks for the reply, so does this mean that in case the repository crashes we will not be having any backup of the records which are modified in checked out version? as they are not stored in Database.

Regards,

Sharma.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Haven't faced a scenario when a repository crashed,

But since temporary id is created in the dB, the record will be available i guess.

Regards,

Abhishek

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sharma,

When you checkout a record,MDM creates a private duplicate copy of the record for editing, and simultaneously protects the original from editing or deletion.This duplicate copy is only seen by members of Checkout.On a Check In event the newly created data is fed to the DB.Checkout mechanism is a temporary staging of data inside the repository.

The original Data is overwriiten in this process but you can see both if you are using Change tracker.

In an event of repository going currupt ,which are mostly caused when memory is out of sync,going back top previous archive helps and data is restored.

Thanks,

Ravi