cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application vs Process-Controlled Workflows in SRM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are currently using the application based workflows (BADI) within SRM however I have heard that SAP will be suspending their support for those types of workflows and that we should migrate to the process-controlled workflows. I have a few questions:

1) Is this in fact the case? Is SAP planning on suspending the support for the SRM application based workflows (BADI)? If so, when is this going to happen?

2) Is there any documentation on process-controlled workflows on the web that would be useful when building the workflow?

3) Our workflow is a bit complex and we do not actually use SRM as the system where the workflow is generated. We use the SRM org structure only to get the location of the cart creator and then use a RFC to pick up the approvers from ECC (using the HR org structure/roles which have been assigned to the approvers). Do process-controlled workflows have the ability to do this as well?

We are looking to put a project together in order to change the SRM workflow over from application based to process-controlled but I am lacking the information on how to do so and if it is truly needed. Any information that you can provide would be very helpful!!

Thanks,

Katie

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ricardo_cavedini
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello,

Actually there is no forecast for stopping to support AC Workflow. PC Workflow has been introduced in SRM 6 in order to replace ACW, however both framework have been inserted, giving to the customer option for one of them.

Regards,

Ricardo

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Katherine,

As per your original thread, it seems that you were going to transition your customized ACW to BRF workflows. The situation you describe is really close to ours and we are hesitating keeping our ACW. That would be great if you could share your experience, and particularly if could manage using BRF worflows with your customization.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Valerie

former_member208675
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) No. I have not seen any formal message from SAP for Applicatoin Controlled Workflow suspention. SAP has come up with Process controlled Workflows (BRF) with new realase of SAP SRM 5.0.

2) Yes. There is enough documentation is available. First you can go through doc provided by SAP: Workflow in SAP SRM 7.0 (available in SAP Service marketplace). Then you can get enough information in forums too.

3) Yes. You BRF can do anything & everything that Applicaiton Controlled Workflow can do.

So many people are moving to PCF now a days. Certainly you can think of moving to PCW.

Regards,

former_member516450
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could I ask a question about Process controlled Workflows.

>>3) Yes. You BRF can do anything & everything that Application Controlled Workflow can do.

⇒We can trigger workflow easily from custom programs when using Application Controlled Workflow.

But I don't know how to trigger workflow from custom programs, when using Process controlled Workflows (BRF).

Could you please give me some advice.

Thanks a lot

former_member208675
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

To configure the SAP Business Workflow, you must perform the steps described below.
SRM Server -> Cross-Application Basic Settings -> Business Workflow -> Process-Controlled Workflow -> Technical Configuration.

You can perform extensive checks to ensure that the settings for the standard business workflow are complete. To do so, run report 'Perform Automatic Workflow Customizing'.

& triggering event would be READY_FOR_WORKFLOW has been linked to the main workflow template (WS40000014). A triggering event is required to start the workflow.

To define BRF you should define Events, Expressions, Groups.

As well you can refer:

http://help.sap.com -> SAP Library -> SAP ERP Cross-Application Functions -> Cross-Application Services -> Business Rule Framework (BRF) -> BRF Objects and BRF for Developers.

Which will give you more insight to BRF.

Regards,