Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merge originals from multiple documents into one document

LN1
Participant
0 Kudos

Good day.

My client is on ECC 6.0 system. There is a requirement to combine multiple document files (e.g., *.pdf, *.jpg, *.doc) in DMS into one document in pdf format. I need to know how to automatically achieve this. Is this possible in DMS functionality? Or does this have to be done programatically using ABAP? Presently, client uses Acrobat Pro to manually combine the documents into one pdf file.

Pls advise.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

As far as my knowledge is concerned Standard DMS functionality doesnt allow this.You cannot merge these documents into a single one.The ideal way of approaching is to convert it manually and uploading it into DMS.

Regarding merging through a program let us take an Abaper advice before we come to a conclusion.

Regards

Praveen

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

These are the different file with different extension, either u go with some customize program or u process it manually, system auto conversion of different extension into single PDF format is not possible.

Regards

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Maria Luisa Noscal

My few queries

1. Are these PDF, word Douments stored in SAP DMS? If not ask them to give you the merged files which is stored in their legacy system and then upload.

2. Why there is need to merge all these documents ? Any business process specific requirement that will enhance Day to day Operation?

Because we need to think before going for such mass change whether it is really required.

Even if you achive merging of all files, next the client would ask to delete all original files which are store.

There should be logical reason to implement this.

If client pressurises then as suggested by Pradeep go for standard maket solutions. Because even if by hook or crook we try to achive the merger through ABAP, we cannot gurantee the merger and its validation whether we have its merged properly.

Hope it will help you to take decesions.

With Warm Regards

Mangesh Pande

LN1
Participant
0 Kudos

Mangesh,

Answers to your queries:

1. Yes, they could be pdf, word doc, and jpg files stored in SAP DMS / doc info record.

2. This is client's business process. Client presently does this manually (using Acrobat Pro) for their documents distribution to their vendors.

It looks like I would have to utilize the 3rd party tool like Acrobat Pro, like be able to execute it from my abap program. (My abap program does the presentation of the DIRs to the user in a tree-node structure. User would have to make selections to combine. DIRs may be of different doc types.) I guess I need to know how to execute Acrobat Pro, like what parameters to pass and all that...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

I have the same requirement for my project. Merging multiple files stored in SAP DMS into a single PDF file. Were you able to achieve this functionality?

My developer is currently looking at the PDFTK tool to see if that will help.

Thanks,

Shobhit

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is a requirement to combine multiple document files (e.g., *.pdf, *.jpg, *.doc) in DMS into one document in pdf format. I need to know how to automatically achieve this. Is this possible in DMS functionality

Not possible in standard DMS setup.However,there are third party tools from SEAL systems designed for requirements of this nature which offer the flexibility of converting various documents in DMS into neutral file formats like PDF,TIFF etc.Do explore [here|http://ecohub.sap.com/catalog/#!solution:DocumentConversionManagementSuite] for details.

Regards,

Pradeepkumar Haragoldavar