cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afaria for Android

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My organization has already configured Afaria for iOS and it is working fine.

I need to figure out how to connect Android devices with Afaria. All the documentation on Sybase Infocenter and Frontline talk about client enrollment, vis-a-vis installing Afaria on android which i have already done.

My question is

Right now if i go to Afaria web-based administrator console:

Data Views -> Clients -> New -> Device -> I get only iOS

How to configure Afaria installation to make sure it supports Android devices too.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

shival_tailor
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

Do you still have this question open? For Android it is a different procedure where you need to register with Google's C2DM service to begin with.

Feel free in letting me know if the question is still open and further clarification is required.

Best Regards,

Shival

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shiva,

Do we need to create a CA certificate as you mentioned in Step by step guide for enrolling devices.Is it necessary to generate CA ? can you please let me know the need of this certificate? do we need to generate for Android Device also?

With regards,

Sri.

rakshit_doshi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

CA Server is only needed for ios Devices as a policy of Apple Inc.

Its not needed for Android devices.

You have to create a C2DM account for Android but since Google has stopped taking fresh connections for C2DM and instead started GCM try to run the GCM patch on Afaria 7.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Guru,

our company already installed afaria but just can see as below, only windows devices.

is it correct that mandatory CA server will be needed for iOS devices?

or how to register more OS in Afaria?

Thank you.

shival_tailor
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes for CA server for iOS.

You may refer Administration Reference manual for enrolling more device types. The Windows that you see in the device section right after the installation is actually the self-system. Afaria server OS gets registered as the first client for Afaria.

Start with creating enrollment policies for the device type you want to enroll, such as iOS or Android. Generate an enrollment code. Download Afaria client application on the device and use the enrollment code.

The above will work provided that you have the proper configurations done in the system, proper ports are open, proper communication mechanism is established.

Best Regards,

Shival

Former Member
0 Kudos

dear Shival,

may i know which server is needed to register iOS device?

we already installed Afaria server, database, enrollment server, anything else?

And already created Policy for iOS,  generated enrollment code from TinyULR

do we always need to use https or http is ok?

thank you very much!

shival_tailor
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Doan,

Although I highly recommend that you refer the latest Afaria installation guides for your custom setup, you've got the right components for iOS with an exception of Certificate Authority server.

iOS 5 mandates that you use HTTPS for the first connection that device uses. If you are using Relay Server, the communication from Device to Relay Server is to be 443/HTTPS. If you are NOT using Relay Server, your Afaria server has to be enabled for 443/HTTPS.

If you are using a 3rd party load balancer, your Relay Server's public certificate is to be installed on it.

Regards,

Shival

www.linkedin.com/in/shival

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Shival,

thank you for your reply!

when i tried to create channel, there is no iOS is allowed, how to add iOS then?

we are using Afaria 7SP1

thanks,

shival_tailor
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Doan,

As you can see, channels are not for iOS. What exactly you are trying to do? To enroll iOS devices you don't need to run any channels.

Did you check the admin reference manual yet?

Click Here to download it.

Regards,

Shival

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank Shival,

i just want to confirm with you:

it's mandatory to use APNS to enroll iOS devices to Afaria?

Afaria 7 is supporting iOS 6?

(currently from appstore i can see Afaria client v6.6

Regards,

Nguyen

shival_tailor
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nguyen,

Yes for both of your questions.

Best Regards,

Shival

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank Shival for your reply.

that's really helpful!

In case of APNS, may i confirm the iPhone (running iOS 6) need to be able to connect to the public internet when enrolling to Afaria?

(this is not so usual since some mobile app we need only LAN connection in testing phase).

In order to connect enrollment server, is it the must to use https?

Last time i tried to install everything (afaria server, enrollment, package, self service portal etc) on only 1 server 2008 R2 SP1 and got the error with file bin\XSRedirector.dll -> afaria server service could not start? do you have any idea for this, do we need the separate servers for all these installation?

i'm stuck with those issues only, appreciate your reply.

shival_tailor
Participant
0 Kudos

Doan,

For APNS, device should be able to use Afaria from Public internet as well as your corporate intranet.

To connect to enrollment server, yes HTTPS is a requirement for the first point of contact for iOS (starting iOS5). For example, if you are using a Relay Server in DMZ then the Relay Server should be enabled with HTTPS.

You don't need separate servers for individual Afaria server components, although distributed

environment should also work just fine. I am unable to give you indicators for the error you are getting as the resolution effort will require more information.

Regards,

Shival

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank Shival so much!

i've pasted the log from Afaria for XSRedirector.dll error:

shival_tailor
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Doan,

Which Operating System are you using for Afaria server?

Regards,

Shival

shival_tailor
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Doan,

Could you create a separate thread for this?

Regards,

Shival

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Shival,

i've created new thread for this issue:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3259506

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Shival,

i've face below message while enroll iPhone to Afaria, please help:

Nov  1 15:46:31 nguyen Afaria[6582] <Warning>: Connection failed: Error - Could not connect to the server. http://localhost:80(null)/ps/ps.svc/packages/7234bd13f0cf495ce83e23d838f01beba1f008ec

shival_tailor
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Doan,

Please try to open a new thread for any new issues that you encounter. That way it's far more reachable to broader community and straight forward to browse and categorize.

Regards,

Shival

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Shival,

i've created new thread about this matter:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3260743

thank you for your suggestion!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shival,

I have a problem that after the android enrollment process. I cannot send any notification via GCM and afaria log state as the following:

"ONS1032: Could not determine the SMS Client Address for the specified client,"

I do check the Knowledgebase Article ID #8354 as the following but its not help.

http://frontline.sybase.com/support/resolutionDetails.aspx?KBID=8354

As one of my investigation is the android inventory GCM Registration ID showing "Not Present".

Please help to give some advise and following is my new thread.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3260796

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

You can do it in two ways.

1. Through self-service portal

2. Entering the enrollment code in the client directly

For both, you need to create Android Enrollment Policy on Afaria server and make sure that you create atleast one channel which can be executed during enrollment e.g. "Inventory channel".

Regards,

Abhishek Joshi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

I noticed in your first message, that you have already configured Afaria for iOS. I'm now configuring my Afaria for managing iOS devices, I have already enrolled a device in Afaria, but I couldn't find a way to deploy applications. Can you please explain what are the basic settings in Afaria for deploying an enterprise application after enrolling the device?

Thanks in advance!

Maria Sulea

shival_tailor
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Maria,

Deploying applications comes with two options, Enterprise Applications and App Store applications. Looking at the date of your posting, I assume you have installed Afaria 7.

In that case, you can go to Policy from Afaria Administrators home page and click on '+' to create a new Policy. Select Application and then depending on your policy type make a selection.

Following are two screenshots for easier understanding and illustration of the above steps:

and

Feel free in posting here if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,

Shival

0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

I hope you have enrolled you device onto Afaria portal as first step and have downloaded the afaria client on to you device.

Regards,

Rajashree