cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone put the RAR Background Job Spool on a different server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are on GRC 5.3 SP 13.

Has anyone put the RAR Background Job Spool File Location (assigned in the Miscellaneous configuration section) on a server different than the one that the GRC Frontend/Java system is on?

I currently have it assigned to a folder on the GRC server, but it is running out of space. I am having a problem getting the users to delete old reports as they say they need to keep them for internal Audit controls. They are also resisting downloading the reports (more work for them). I have been told that we cannot easily increase the file space on the GRC server (would basically have to purchase more storage and rebuild the server).

I was thinking about moving the folder over to our virtual storage area, were file size can be more easily expanded. I haven't found any documentation that says the folder has to be on the GRC server, but I also haven't seen any examples of where it has been put on a different server.

Has anyone done this, and did you run into any problems?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I think the best option if you are in a Windows environment would be map a network drive, let's say Z.

Then, you'll be able to change the spool folder to Z: arspools for example. You can set specific user credentials to connect to that drive. I don't see any problem with this strategy more than a performance one.

Also you might want to check here for a discussion regarding this:

Cheers,

Diego.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had already seen the linked thread, and several other threads/notes/etc., but none mention anything about putting the folders on a different server from GRC.

When we first set these folders up, I had been told to put then on the same server. However, I don't know if this is a requirement (i.e. do it this way or it won't work) or a recommendation (i.e. it words best this way).

Am curious to find out if anyone else has put them on a different server, and did they experience any problems (for example you mentioned performance).

Have you tried this?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bob,

I got your point. Probably there's no recommendation about this, because the recomended practise is to delete or archive the spools as suggested in note : Note 1511027 - Periodic clean up of spool files

If you have a requirement to keep these files "online", I think the option to save them to a network drive is fine. I haven't tried it for this specific scenario. You have to take into account:

- Specific user to connect to FileServer

- Availability of the FileServer. If the FS is down, the RAR job will cancel.

- Performance. I mean, write to a local disk is not the same to write to a network drive. This point is very difficult to measure, because it depends on a lot of things like network speed, server load, etc.

Maybe someone has already implemented it and gives you more hints.

Cheers,

Diego.