cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple saposcol running on one host

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

We have several SAP instances running on one physical hp-ux server.

We should thus have one saposcol process running on this host

However, we have noticed several of these saposcol running:

wavsapp5 # ps -ef|grep saposcol

root 19177 1 0 Jan 23 ? 0:00 /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol -l -w60 pf=/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/host_profile

root 9482 1 0 08:52:59 ? 0:00 /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol -l -w60 pf=/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/host_profile

root 11328 1 0 Jan 16 ? 0:00 /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol -l -w60 pf=/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/host_profile

root 2371 1 0 Dec 21 ? 0:00 /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol -l -w60 pf=/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/host_profile

root 461 1 0 Dec 12 ? 0:00 /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol -l -w60 pf=/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/host_profile

root 6895 1 0 Dec 12 ? 0:00 /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol -l -w60 pf=/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/host_profile

root 10575 1 0 Dec 26 ? 0:00 /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol -l -w60 pf=/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/host_profile

root 5444 1 0 Jan 9 ? 0:00 /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol -l -w60 pf=/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/host_profile

root 13390 1 0 Jan 2 ? 0:00 /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol -l -w60 pf=/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/host_profile

root 16195 1 0 Dec 19 ? 0:00 /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol -l -w60 pf=/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/host_profile

root 25408 1 0 Jan 23 ? 0:00 /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol -l -w60 pf=/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/host_profile

root 9256 1 0 Jan 2 ? 0:00 /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol -l -w60 pf=/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/host_profile

root 16206 1 0 Dec 26 ? 0:00 /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol -l -w60 pf=/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/host_profile

root 29499 1 0 Jan 9 ? 0:00 /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol -l -w60 pf=/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/host_profile

root 21933 21857 1 10:02:09 pts/2 0:00 grep saposcol

root 23853 1 0 Jan 18 ? 0:00 /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol -l -w60 pf=/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/host_profile

root 11779 1 0 Jan 15 ? 16:00 /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol -l -w60 pf=/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/host_profile

wavsapp5 #

What is triggering these ?

Thank you and best regards,

Cédric Decreton

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you solved this.. please share the solution is you have.. we are facing the same issue on multiple instances.

Thanks

IanSegobio
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Mousan,

As the topic's status is "assumed answer" I'll reply to you instead:

This should be a known issue regarding saposcol and HP-UX. The two main symptoms are:

[1] Multiple saposcol executions;

[2] Multiple swlist processes running (ps -ef | grep swlist);

If this scenario fits for you, then the provided workaround might as well. As far as I know, there are no final fix yet.

Workaround is to:

- upgrade SAP Host Agent to the latest 720 release version.

- change the pthread scheduling contention scope.

The SAP host agent, saposcol and swlist should be run with the

environment variable PTHREAD_FORCE_SCOPE_SYSTEM set to 1. This can be

done by setting the environment variable in the shell before starting

the SAP host agent (/sbin/init.d/sapinit start)

Here I send you a detailed, step by step description about workaround

(I quote it from my colleague):

"

As root,

1.- stop #saphostagent# and stop #saposcol#

1a.-  #/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saphostexec -stop

1b.-  #/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saposcol -k

You can check the status for both by options "-status" and "-s" options

respectively.

2.- Check by all saposcol and swlist processes still running and

kill them(pids).

3.- verify processes were killed by  "ps -ef  grep saposcol" or

swlist commands

4.- Export below environment variable from the shell

#export PTHREAD_FORCE_SCOPE_SYSTEM=1

5.- As root restart saphostagent

#/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saphostexec -restart

The saphostagent should restart saposcol.

Adding the change to the /sbin/init.d/sapinit script is the right place

to make the change permanent across reboots. As long as the SAP host

agent is not started manually without setting the environment variable

first, this implements the workaround as needed.

Cheers!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cedric,

Were you able to find the reason for multiple saposcol processes running on your host? Please let us know, if you are able to identify the root cause. We are facing a similar issue in our environment too.

Thank You.

Regards,

Venkat.

Manas_Vincit
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please update your hostctrl to latest and restart hostctrl . It will solve this issue .

Thanks

Manas Behra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Manas,

To which minimum release should we update hostctrl?

I am asking this because we recently - let's say 3 months ago - updated hostctrl and still are coping with this issue.

Kind regards,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Usually, on startup of an instance, there will be a check if saposcol already is running. If it isn't, saposcol will be started.

So in your case it seems this check didn't work.

Maybe you can find a hint in start log files. Or have a closer look when you start SAP next time.

I would play around a bit. Stop all saposcol processes, or if needed use Unix kill command for that.

Then from various sidadm users try commands like 'saposcol -l' and 'saposcol -s'.

regards