cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA: Writing the output onto a .csv file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a doubt on the data writing options.

For ex, we are reporting on an ECC table which contains a large amount of data.

Our pain points:

1. Extracting this large amount of data

2. Writing the output data into a .csv and save it on the local machine/ server

For point 1, we are performing tests using SAP HANA.

But, I require some inputs on point 2. How can this be achieved with HANA?

Will there be any kind of performance improvement?

Is there some kind of SQL available to write back the data from HANA d/b into a .csv.

I know this has to be row based, as the write is faster.

Any pointers on the above would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> For point 1, we are performing tests using SAP HANA.

> But, I require some inputs on point 2. How can this be achieved with HANA?

> Will there be any kind of performance improvement?

>

> Is there some kind of SQL available to write back the data from HANA d/b into a .csv.

> I know this has to be row based, as the write is faster.

hmmm not really sure what you mean here...

You want to have an SQL command that saves the result of some SQL command to a CSV file?

Why don't you use any of the standard reporting tools?

The HANA db engine is a reporting, data analysis and management backend solution.

It's the server part of the client-server model. Or the data provider if you want to see it that way.

Output handling, formatting, saving, distribution is better done by other tools, like Excel, BO or Crystal Reports.

Maybe one comment in general: HANA (as all BW reporting solutions) is best when you aggregate data for analysis.

Simply spilling out a large filtered and/or sorted set of rows is not what it best speeds up.

The higher the aggregation of your data, the better the speed advantage of HANA.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply Lars.

I totally agree with your point - aggregated data ensures the performance of HANA.

What we're trying to figure out is whether we can write the output produced through HANA in a .csv file.

Business case:

Business is using a custom R/3 report based on a FI table. The data contained in the table is very large in volume.

Firstly, It takes close to 2 hours to fetch the details through a report - this we can solve using HANA.

Secondly, the entire data set generated through the report is written on to a .csv file and stored - this is where the problem lies.

If we are to replicate this scenario in SAP HANA, how will we ensure writing of data on to a file?

I can create an Analysis for Excel report and save it - i guess that's one option.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

well moving legacy ABAP reports to HANA is one of the major use cases.

Using modern reporting UIs like BO for that is common - so this is surely an option to explore for you.

Another approach would be that of the accellerator solutions, like CO-PA accellerator.

These solutions access the data in HANA via a secondary db connection in ABAP and deliver the data back to the user the very same way the legacy report did.

That way, no change on the user/data consumer side is required, which might be desirable in certain scenarios.

best regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lars & Balaji, thank you for your replies. Appreciate it.

It will be a better idea to take the output from the reporting tool rather than writing a SQL.

I have been going through the SAP RDS concept as well.

But, this is suitable only if we have a standard solution.

On the contrary, I do believe, that enhancement is possible after the implementation of RDS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Vishal, the RDS contents provide by SAP are standard solution for ERP, CRM etc. scenarios. They can be customized to meet specific customer requirements.

Regards, Rahul

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

if my understading is correct, you are trying to replicate ABAP report into HANA which is scheduled to export the output as .csv.

So once you have extracted the data into HANA, why dont you use crystal reports and produce the same output so that you will have option of exporting it as .csv file as there is no limitation on no of rows that can be contained in an crystal report.

I dont see a point in writing a sql to get the data out of HANA, if this report ( CSV file ) is really going to be used by the end users.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any pointers on this?

Thank you.