cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe Migration Procedure from TEST Server to PROD server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are using SAP BO XI R3 version in our project TEST windows 2003 server.

we have designed the universe in TEST BO Server and it's working great.

Now, we would like to move/migrate the universe created in TEST Server to the PROD server.

please let me know the migration steps [step by step procedure - documents] in getting the universe available in PROD server as well.

Note: We are using SAP BO XI R2 version in PROD server & XI R3 in TEST Server respectively in separate physical machine .

Regards,

Karthik

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Obviously, it goes without saying that moving XI 3.1 content to XI R2 environment would be unsupported madness doomed for failiure

regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your support Henry. I agree with your point.

I have 1 quick question: if we copy the .unv file from TEST BO R3 server and paste the same .unv file to PROD BO R2 server, will it be available for importing in PROD BO R2 Server [to do modification in connection settings (connection to pointing PROD DB)]?

If yes, we can copy [not export (no use of tool)] manually the .unv file from TEST R3 server and paste it manually in PROD R2 Machine under universes folder and make any modification like changing the connections....etc.,

Please let me know if this approach works fine with no issues. Because its going to be done in PROD.

Many Thanks,

Karthik.

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Sorry, There is no point asking for best-practice advice about a procedure which does not conform to general recommendations.

What you are doing is an entirely unsupported workaround, a hack, which may or may not work, and is totally working against the standard practice for managing these applicationu2019s lifecycles. I suspect that if you do this, you have every possibility of encountering regressions and unexpected behaviour...

Just so you know, XIR2 is also now u2018not-supportedu2019, end of life..

Regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok Thanks Henry.

My understanding is that the universe created in BO XI R3 will not be supported in BO XI R2 version.

I guess, from Higher version --> Lower version is not possible.

Is there any way to export the file and get moved to R2 Version?

Thanks,

Karthik.

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Sure - develop your content using XIR2 tools, in an XIR2 authoring environment!

Regards,

H

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

You use Import Wizard to move content between servers. (that's the default utility)

Or Life Cycle Manager, if you have that implemented. like this http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/FromDEVtoQAtoPRODusingLifeCycleManager

Regards,

H