Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regd SAP Netweaver Gateway

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

This Question is reagarding gateway.

I can understand that gateway sits over core remote enabled functionality or BAPI ,and it is more about how we expose the functionality by reducing complexity.

A few questions regarding SAP Netweaver Gateway..

1) Using conventional webservices (that are created from Rfc) we can achieve all functionalities of Rest and OData webservice...then why should I prefer Gateway .

2)Is there any specific capability of Gateway that will make me handicapped if I dont choose Gateway.

3)We have decided to use SUP at mobile end..What major difference will it make , if I choose Conventional Webservice over Rest webservice.

Regards

Karthiheyan M

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Conventional webservice is not secured, where as SUP provides security, netweaver gateway + SUP provides you Push notification which is not available in Conventional web service, SUP provides device management as well. though Afaria is a better than SUP when it comes to device management.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply...

We are using Webservices only in an Intranet ..so security is not a major constraint . I need to know about functionality and capability of SAP NETWAVER GATEWAY that I will miss if I dont choose them..

Kindly explain about Push Notifications.

Regards,

Karthiheyan M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Regarding Push notification how it works is,

Say for instance something has been changed in the backend, and some thing new has been added in the backend, it will notifiy all the device to which it is supposed to, that's when you will get an notification icon (a badge) on top of your application icon.

Otherwise you have to make a call more often to check whether anything new is available in backend or not.. which is not a good idea

Mostly netweaver gateway is in DMZ, that means it cannot be accessed outside, if you want to showcase your product to outside the intranet, you will not be able to, in that scenario, you must have to SUP and a relay server, SUP will act as a proxy, just like any other proxy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answer... You gave me the exact point .. Is there any other interesting functionality of Netweaver Gateway that you have come accrossed .

Can you briefly explain the Mobile scenario that you are working and Netweaver Gateway's contribution to it.

I have also posted , ABAPER's please have a view

Regards,

Karthiheyan M

Former Member
0 Kudos

actually the mobile scenario in which i m working is a confidential, if you mind my answers helpful please mark it

Answers (0)