cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from 2 different Planning Area into 1 Planning Area

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

In my project we have to planning area . Plannnig are for France and planning area of Italy. Now the requirement is to move from these two planning areas into 1 common planning area.

Please guide me how we should approach this requirement and what are the things we should take care of.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Prabhat Sahay

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to all for your response.

I will look into the suggestion one by one.

Let's focus on MPOS and PA.

The source and destination MPOS and PA both are different so we have different set of Chars and KFs.

So I request you all please share your thoughts/suggestions on this.

Thanks,

Prabhat

former_member209769
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhat,

Many points are already covered. Let me add some more.

First of all, take full backup of your planning area. In case of any issues, you should be able to revert back to the old situation without much of delay. If you do need to retrieve the data from backup to planning area, keep this below SAP bug in mind (At least it exists in SCM 5.0. Not sure if SAP took care of it in later releases):

When you retrieve data from cube to planning area, you would most likely be splitting the load into multiple loads to fasten the process. Remember that the "to" value that you would specify IS NOT considered in load. e.g. if you give a location based selection for your load as A* to L, all the locations that start with L will not get considered in the load. E.g. if there is a location called LA01, it would not be loaded. To bypass this, either plan properly in load, meaning first selection would be A* to L, next one should be L to R. Note that here TO from first selection is same as FROM condition for the second selection. OTHERWISE give TO selections where values would not exist e.g. most likely no location name would start with X , so one selection could be R* to X*. No location starts with X, so no values would be missing in this load.

Next, consider the flows INTO and OUT of DP. You need to plan when you would cutover (stop or modify) the old flow from your BW system (or any other source) to DP. Similarly, consider the impact on reports based on DP. Also check the release from DP to SNP, or release of Planned Independent Requirements from DP to R/3 (if you use it). Stop using the old flow when your new flow starts, but do not immediately delete it. Wait for few months, and then only delete the old flow. This way, you can revert back to old situation immediately when needed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks - Pawan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Pawan for your response.

if we focus on MPOS and PA ---

The source and destination MPOS and PA both are different so we have different set of Chars and KFs.

Thanks,

Prabhat

former_member209769
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhat,

Find out about the complete flow. What changes are happening in BW? Most likely wthin BW, history related data (e.g. sales history, corrected history, old promotions, etc) should be getting updated from old characteristics/Key Figures to new values. Then you could get the history data from BW to APO in the new planning area. In this case, you would just run the history & forecast related jobs to have all the relevant data in APO (for past and future). When you run the jobs in sequence, all relevant data would get created automatically.

I think the above should apply, and most likely you should not need below information. But let me add to previous comments:

You would only be able to copy from source PA to destination PA based on characteristic values that are common. e.g. in both the planning areas, you should have some characteristic for location, and you have a value of AM01 for location in both POS. You map the source characteristic/KF to destination characteristic and KF.

After you copy the data to the destination POS based on these common characteristic values, disaggregation would happen to get data to the lowest CVC level, and also for aggregates.

Let me know the result of check of the first point above. This would be a big topic, so better to give advice step by step.

Thanks - Pawan

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

You can use /sapapo/tscopy to copy the data from the two planning areas to the new planning area.

If the two planning areas have the same key figure settings, it would be quite easy, since the key figure assignment and characteristic assignment would be simple. But even they're not the same, it is also possible, but you'll need to take care of the characteristic and key figure assignmen.

Besides, if you have the same CVC copied from the two planning areas, you should notice the "overwrite" thing. You can control this with the "Add Data" field in key figure assignment -- based on your requirement.

Best Regards,

Ada

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prabhat

The first thing would be to identify if its feasible to move - will all the current demand planning processes be supported with one planning area. Here are some things to consider -

1. Do both Planning Areas share the same Planning Object Structure ? If yes, this is easier. If not, can they potentially share the same set of characteristics ? If not, consolidation might not be a good option.

2. One Planning Area can have only one UOM and one Currency (so data can only be stored with one UOM and one currency although you can convert into other UOM's/ currencies for display purposes).

3 Do both Planning Areas share the same set of Key figures ? If yes, this consolidation makes more sense. If not, you can still consolidate, but there is less justification to do so.

Second thing would be to identify work effort involved - Configuration/ Macros/ External Interfaces/ Program Variants/ Process Chains/ User Selections/ BI Cubes - All of these are potetially affected.

To summarize - this is a big deal ! Make sure you have a good reason to consolidate.

Rishi Menon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rishi for your response.

if we focus on MPOS and PA ---

Thanks,

Prabhat