Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for those links

but i have another query

credit memo and cancellation using MR8M are same thing ?

tejyadav
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi.

> credit memo and cancellation using MR8M are same thing ?

>>> Both are 2 different things, Credit Memo is to be sent to Vendor, MR8M is to do the reversal of LIV.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In SAP you can say these are different but in business point of view these are same

as because both of these postings are similar in nature

When we cancel MIRO using MR8M postings are

Vendor A/c Dr.

Gr/IR A/c Cr.

And when we perform MIRO with option credit Memo

Vendor A/c Dr.

Gr/IR A/c Cr.

So these are similar nature

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks

but depending on what situation which technique should i use pls help ?

tejyadav
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI, Credit Memo will be used if you want to send the vendor the Credit note for deduction,because vendor should know about the Credit Memo,

MR8M is your internal adjustment, if you by mistake did wrong posting & you want to correct it then you will use MR8M & again do the LIV.

tejyadav
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Subsequent Credit u2013 You receive a credit memo from a vendor decreasing the total invoiced value on a previous invoice, not the total invoiced quantity. You must change the transaction from Invoice to Subsequent credit. It is a reduction of value but not quantity by the amount of the credit memo.

Example: If due to poor quality the value of the material is reduced by vendor as compared to PO amount.but u posted invoice to the amount as in po.so excess payment done----

here we need to adjust it in subsequent credit memo.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

tejyadav
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Difference between Credit Memo & Invoice Reduction,

Credit memo: This functionality is used if you have performed an IV for quantity 100 and later you have relaised that you have to make it for only 90 then you hit a credit memo for remaining 10 .Note that during credit memo the Inventory accounts are not getting hit .It is only negation of IV entries.

Credit Memo for eg. it can be used for vendor returns, Return delivery (via GRN) will be done and based on the PO and return delivery quantity, the credit memo will be raised .

Invoice Reduction: If your Vendor Invoice you for the stock quantity which he has not delivered yet,

So u will be using this invoice reduction to reduce the invoice by the undeliverd quantity

Example ,

PO 10 pc @ 10rs/pc

MIGO 5 pc @ 10 rs/pc

so invoice should be of

5 pc multiplied by 10 rs

now vendor sends u invoice for 100 rs

so now u r going to reduce his invoice

so system post the invoice with 100 rs but simultaneously system creates credit memo of 50 rs

means u r giving 100 rs and at the same time getting back 50 rs in the form of credit note.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for this detailed help

but i have one doubt if i made and invoice of 100qty and later i feel that i need for 90 then what abt the MIGO is that would be for 100qty or 90qty as my GR

tejyadav
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, I think 1st you will do MIGO & then do the LIV, if do the MIGO for 100, then where is the need of Credit Memo,if you did the MIGO for 90, & did LIV for 100, then you need to make Credit Memo for 10 for the mistake.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

SO in your case Subsequent Credit will be appropriate

In MIGO return to vendor 10 QTY

Then do Subsequent Credit for 10 qty in MIRO

Former Member
0 Kudos

its really confusing which one to be done

if i made migo of 100 qty and i have to make invoice of 90 qty which one should i use invoice reduction or credit memo ?

Edited by: Avi_sap123 on Jan 22, 2012 7:56 AM

tejyadav
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, As i told above,

> but i have one doubt if i made and invoice of 100qty and later i feel that i need for 90

>>> If your finance had already did the payment then you need to go for credit memo, and if not then you can do MR8M & again book the invoice for 90 & do the payment for 90 only,

>then what abt the MIGO is that would be for 100qty or 90qty as my GR

>>> if MIGO is for 100 then you do not need to do anything, if MIGO is for 90 follow the above process.

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes i can do it via credit memo bt i can also do it using invoice reduction by changing the qty isn't it ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Avi,

You are right when we post Invoice Reduction System posts a credit memo document in the background automatically.

Just check this link for the Tax treatment in invoice reduction

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/en/27/098ba835e1d311ba4d0800060d888b/content.htm

tejyadav
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, yes of course, all depend upon your choice & Finance requirement, how they want to show in the system & how your auditors want it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Credit memo :

You can only use Credit memo when you already entered the GR for 100 qty and posted the invoice for 100 qty. now you find that 10 qty is damaged and you return 10 qty to vendor and you want to adjust the value of the 10 qty with a credit memo. i.e you are cancelling 10 qty in the previously posted Invoice.

Invoice reduction :

You use Invoice reduction at the time of Invoice and not after the Invoice posting. Vendor reduction is done for both value and qty. If vendor delivers only 90 qty @ GR and sending the invoice for 100 qty. I understand your point of confusion here. In this case, when you try to post the invoice, system only picks 90 qty if you activated GR based invoice verification. Now you can simply post the invoice i.e ignoring the vendor invoice which is 100 Qty. or you post the invoice for 90 Qty and also you raise a complaint to vendor for excess invoice. So you select " correction indicator 2" so system allows you to enter the actual amount or actual quantity of the vendor invoice (physical invoice from vendor). Subsequently you can print the complaint document using below config. another example for invoice reduction with excess value. PO qty = 10, PO value 100, GR received = 10 qty. Vendor sends the invoice for 10 Qty and value 110. Now if you agree with vendor, you simply change the amount(it allows as per tolerance) or you can ignore vendor invoice and post only 100(system picked the value from PO) or you want to post the invoice also complaint to vendor by entering actual amount sent by vendor. Now you can print the complaint document using MR90 and output type - REKL. Sending complain to the vendor is main funda of invoice reduction.

Configuration neccessary for Invoice reduction

Account determination u2013 transation event key - RKA

Document type for Invoice reduction u2013 OMR4

Message type u2013 REKL

Condition record u2013 MRM1