cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parallel Transport Mechanism

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are planning to have a parallel landscape solution of ECC 6.0 for our client.

Existing landscape-- DEV>QA>PRD

Parallel Landscape-- DEV1--QA1

Whatever we design we will transport in the following path:

DEV1-->QA1

Then the objects will be transported from QA1-->DEV

As the transports reach DEV it would follow the existing route:

DEV>QA>PRD

Client has reviewed the proposed parallel landscape solution with their technical architect and would like to understand how we propose to handle the system ownership of transports. Each transport is stamped with the SID of the originating system. Once we move these transports into existing Development, then we will not be able to change the configuration / code of the transport. How do you propose that we can regain ownership of the configuration / code once in the existing landscape?

Proposal given by us to the client:

The ownership of the transports from Parallel/project landscape to existing landscape can be achieved in multiple ways by Basis function; following SAP standard options are generally followed.

Option 1 - Transports from a system originates with SID and owner ship of the user. When we import this transport to another system, selectively Basis can help to modify and regain the owner ship of the particular transport. The prerequisite for this is the old developer should exist in the system.

Option 2 - We can create a new transport and add the imported transport/objects to new transport request to gain the ownership of the objects of the transport.

Is these the correct options??Is there any other way we can maintain the ownership of the transports??Please guide & suggest me.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

We have same setup in our landscape and we follow option 2.

Option 2 - We can create a new transport and add the imported transport/objects to new transport request to gain the ownership of the objects of the transport.

So,once you create a new transport by copying the objects from other transport, it will create TR with new SID.Which is your requirement.

Thanks,

Ashutosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ashutosh..

For all the transports that will be imported to DEV,we need to create a new TR to add the transport request..

Do you think it will create any inconsistency??How you maintain this??The reason is that there will be transports from its own system also?

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

No i don't think it will create inconsistency(technically) in system.You have to have good QA and Release management tools setup to track and keep record of these transports.

Process-wise it will be extra burden, but its worth it in long run.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ashutosh..

We do not have any Transport Management tool like Transport Express/Revtrack,..

I do not think client will be ready to buy a tool..Do you think it would be a huge challenge if we do the transports without any tool?

To track & keep record of the transports how will it be possible to do it manually? What transports tool you use Ashutosh?

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Tools for quality assurance/change management and tracking are good to have.Otherwise it will be too much manual work to track each and every change going into system over the long period.

Some of my previous clients used to manage with in house change management tools,some with just xls sheets.

I'm not suggesting to get 3rd party tool for migrating transports,STMS is good enogh.

To track & keep record of the transports how will it be possible to do it manually?

If you dont have any QA,Prob manageemnt,change management tools available, then you can do it manually by creating xls sheet for each landscape.

What transports tool you use Ashutosh?

At my current client, they have in-house developed change management tools.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ashutosh one again thanks..

When we will copy the transports from Project landscape to the BAU(original) landscape whether we need to use Transport of copies or Rellocations..

Without Transport of copies or Rellocations will it be possible to copy the transports from the project ladscape??I think it would not allow as the objects are not created originally in the BAU system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

One more thing Ashutosh I am still in doubt:

Once we move these transports into existing BAU Development, then we will not be able to change the configuration / code of the transport.Will it be possible to change the configuration / code of the transport even if we create a new transport in BAU??

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

rossmclanachan
Explorer
0 Kudos

The rekeying (also called dual maintenance) of Business as Usual transports that have reached Production back into your Project landscape, is definitely advisable, as it will ensure that the two landscapes are kept consistent and in sync, and you do not hit unexpected issues when your project cuts over to your BAU landscape that you did not see during Project test phase.

However doing this rekeying manually can be an extremely time-consuming and human-error prone activity, and often introduces new issues and inconsistencies.

As already mentioned by Ashutosh, tools like  Transport Express can automate this activity.

TE Merge capability automatically creates new transports for the objects contained in the BAU transports, and puts them into the Project landscape, avoiding the need for developers to do it manually. You can see a demo of how TE’s Agile Multi-track development functionalities can help make your organisation more efficient and avoid the need for manual rekeying on your multi-tier landscape on the BTI website

http://www.basistechnologies.com/online-demos

If you are interested in finding our more about TE, please contact us via our website.

Thanks

Ross McLanachan

http://www.basistechnologies.com/

For transparency, I should state that I work with Basis Technologies, the software vendor behind Transport Express and other SAP-certified products. Prior to this, I spent almost a decade working in various SAP Change & Release and other delivery roles for a large global SAP consultancy, and so know first-hand the many faced by many SAP customers still delivering their SAP Change using largely manual processes