cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERP to MII connection via PI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts

We have a situation where a customer would like to route IDocs from SAP ERP to MII via PI, including RFCs in the reverse case, for monitoring purposes. However, MII is the target system.

1) Can we route IDOCs MATMAS, BOMMAT, LOIPRO, CLFMAS via PI with no problem?

2) How hard is it to build RFC calls with PI being in the middle? Can PI provide RFC interfaces just like when calling ERP directly?

3) Is there advantages other than additional monitoring / buffering capabilities?

4) Does this additional middleware affect process reliability or performance? Do we need to consider impact on a-/synchronous processes?

5) Am I missing important aspects?

I am aware that MII vs. PI has undergone a lot of discussion already, however, this is a different aspect that (so I hope) has not been discussed before. If so, I couldn't find it and I do apologize. If not, I am hoping for some good input.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by: Stefan Stahuber on Jan 19, 2012 2:00 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

I know of only one customer, but there are probably more, who routes their IDocs through PI. There were some problems initially, but it turned out to be a PI configuration problem. I generally suggest following the KISS rule and recommend against adding in another software package in the path of the documents, but there are sometimes reasons to use PI.

I recommend setting up a plain vanilla IDoc Listener without PI to make sure there are no problems with the direct routing before interleaving PI in the middle. See this [document|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/a02bc706-15f2-2c10-1aab-a1927ada11f0?QuickLink=index&overridelayout=true] for step by step instructions.

As far as setting up an RFC Listener through PI, I am not sure I know anyone who has done that before, but I would recommend following the same procedure as the IDoc Listener (set it up first without PI).

Good luck,

Mike

Edited by: Michael Appleby on Jan 19, 2012 7:26 PM

Edited by: Michael Appleby on Jan 19, 2012 7:27 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Mike! I'll post back on the actual outcome and how we fared once implementation is done as this might help others as well.

Cheers