cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow start step performs Exclusive checkout

Former Member
0 Kudos

We need to upload data to records that are in workflow and checked out by the workflow start step. Unfortunately the workflow start step performs an Exclusive checkout of the record which means that the background MDM Impor Server user cannot automatically join the checkout, the user first needs to be invited to the checkout, which needs a manual step of modifying the join permissions of the checkout, which is not what we want to do.

I have also noticed that when an existing record is checked out Exclusively the user's roles are pulled through into the permitted roles section of the join permission screen of the checkout. When a new record is checked out Exclusively the user's roles are not pulled through to the permitted roles section of the join permission screen of the checkout. This looks like a bug to me.

We are using MDM 7.1 SP08.

Please advise any workarounds to this problem. I can think of a few, but none are very elegant, e.g.:

1. Use API to invite import user to checkout before import is started (requires coding)

2. Get the user that owns the workflow to manually invite the import user (not guaranteed to remember)

3. Complete workflow and stat new wokflow without chekout before import is started.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neethu,

Taking all the facts into account I believe the problem can best be described as follows:

When an EXISTING record is checkout out by a workflow start step, the [Launcher]'s roles are pulled through into the permitted roles section of the join permissions. This enables other users that share a role with the [Launcher] to join the checkout.

Unfortunately when a NEW record is checked out by a workflow start step, the [Launcher]'s roles are NOT pulled through into the permitted roles section of the join permissions. This forces users to firstly be invited the checkout before they can join. This also causes the "Auto-Join" option in Import Manager to fail.

The above does seem like a bug to me as there is a definite difference in how the checkout for new or existing records are handled by the workflow start step, regardless of the fact that the checkout is Exclusive in every case.

I have logged a call for this with SAP and will let you know what reply I get.

Regards,

Johann

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Johann,

Surely let me know the reply, if this works out then nothing like that.

Regards,

Neethu Joy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Johann,

Just for better understanding your records are in a workflow process (say update)and before the update workflow completes you want to update some fields through import process.

If this is the case then its not possible in MDM as A record can only be in one workflow job at a time i.e.if you import record it will trigger Record Import Workflow which is a separate workflow job.

Please write more about your process so can help u better.

Regards,

Neethu Joy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neethu,

The problem is that the workflow checks the record out in Exclusive mode, which means that users can join the workflow, but only if first invited (through modifying the join permissions). Since the Import Server user is executing the import in the background another user (e.g. the owner of the workflow) must first invite the Import Server user to the checkout before the import can be done. We do not wish to perform this manual step, but it is a possible workaround.

The Import Map is NOT set to trigger a workflow, since the record is already in a workflow as you correctly state. The "Auto-Join Checkout" option is set on the Import Map so that the Import Server user can join the checkout, but this only works if the checkout was done as Non-Exclusive, which is not the case as the workflow Start step performs the checkout of the record in Exclusive mode.

Also note the information I gave in the original post regarding the Permitted Roles on the Join Permissions that pull through on an Update but not on a Create, which is strange, perhaps a bug?

I hope the additional information is helpful to you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Johann,

I got you point.

Its not a bug in MDM these are the constraints in MDM :(.

To understand more read section CHECKOUT AND WORKFLOW FAILURE CONDITIONS of the import manager refernce guide.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmdm71/helpdata/en/4b/72b8e7a42301bae10000000a42189b/MDMImportManager71...

In our lanscape we too have a scenario where we are creating/ records in MDM leaving Material Number Blank (Record Add workflow).

But once this record with balnk Material Number is syndicated to source system we stop this workflow.

Now from source system through change pointer we get a file immediately with material Number and MDMID.

which we process through MDIS and trigger another workflow(Record Import)

I guess this matches with the third option you described to start and stop workflow and trigger import.

Regards,

Neethu Joy