Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Restoration Mount point change in Target system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Please suggest.

We have TSM server which is used to take the backup in tape and do the restoration of SAP ECC6 systems with Oracle 10g.

Normally the restoration is happening in the target system mount point but I need the restoration should be done in different mount point.

Ex: /mymountpoint/<SID2>/sapdata<n>/data.data<n>

Please suggest how to do the restoration form tape using brrestore or Tivoli backfm.

What are the parameters need to be chanded to accomplish the above solution.

Source System mount point:

/oracle/<SID1>/sapdata<n>/data.data<n>

Target System mount point:

/oracle/<SID2>/sapdata<n>/data.data<n>

Biswajit Biswas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

mohammed_anish
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you looked at the brrestore command option for this.

eg: BRRESTORE -m /oracle/SID1=/oracle/SID2

Regards

Anish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Three possibilities:

- create links on the target: ln -s /oracle/SID1/sapdata<n> /oracle/SID2/sapdata<n>

- do an alternate restore with brrestore, use the -m option: -m <generic_path>=<rest_dest>

- do the alternate restore directly with TSM, i don't know the details about this.

In all cases you should use the rename file command in SQLplus to correnct the paths. In the past i used links most of the time for full restores, and the -m option for single files. For example i always do restore tests like this:

brrestore -u / -d util_file -m SYSTEM=/oracle/SID/sapreorg

Cheers Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot for your valuable reply.

Could you please help to explain the procedure of restoring full database using softlink in the diffreent location other than /oracle in target system.

Or please send some links which can help me.

Thanks,

Biswajit Biswas

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just saw that my link example above was the wrong way round, should be:

ln -s <target_path> <source_path>

Sorry for that. To your question, i am not sure what exactly you want to achieve be restoring the database to a path other than /oracle?

Are you trying this on the same server as the source system? What is your goal?

Cheers Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot.

Sorry for that. To your question, i am not sure what exactly you want to achieve be restoring the database to a path other than /oracle?

Are you trying this on the same server as the source system? What is your goal?

My motto behind this is :

1. I want to test my production backup without affecting any system. Normally I am restoring the Production database into quality system. By this ia am achiving two things i ) Quaality Refresh and ii) Backup Test. Further I want to accomplish the point no two i.e Backup test only.

2. I dont have standby system. So I will use the Quality system for the restoration process without affecting its data. For this i have created a mount point /sapbbbackup/oracle/<target sid> in quality system. what i want is the backup should be restored in the new mount point without affecting /oracle/<target sid>.

Regards,

Biswajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, in this case you can try to set the link like this:

ln -s /sapbbbackup/oracle/<target sid> /oracle/<source sid>

You might also need to create a few directories under /sapbbbackup/oracle/<target sid> like sapdata<n>, origlogX, etc.

Cheers Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I am planning to do the below steps to solve my problem. Please suggest where I need to change or correction needed.

Steps :

Step-1 : Stop SAP all instances in the target system.

Step-2 : Login as u201Corasidu201D and stop database and listener

Step-3 : Create a link for folder u201C/sapbbbackup/<target sid>u201D to u201C/oracle/<target sid>u201D.

Step-4 : Login as orasid user and run backfm command to access previous backup on Tivoli Server.

Step-5 : Press u201CMu201D to mark all files (select)

Step-6 : Press u201CCu201D to redirect. It will ask you for New SID and Alternate Locationu2026

Step-7 : Press u201CYu201D for u201CCreate Directory if does not existu201D then Select u201CYesu201D for Redirect Restore file(s) ?.

Step-8 : Complete the restoration

Thanks

Biswajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well as i said i cannot help you for tivoli. But according to your plan, it looks like you already redirect the target path. In that case you won't even need the link.

Overall I think this could work, i suggest you try the restore first with one single file, for example a controlfile. Then you can easily see, if it goes to the right place.

Cheers Michael

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can use the verify option of brrestore.

It will actually restore filewise to sapreorg (or another location) and then do any kind of check you configure,

like check the restored file with rman or dbv. It will then delete the restored file and proceed,

so you do not need the full space for a restore-verify.

If you do rman-backups with tsm, you can even use "rman validate logical"

which will not require any local storage to restore first. It will do the validation while the data is streaming in.

Volker