cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i want to make a connection between SAP on AS400-db2 an MS SQL serveron win

Former Member
0 Kudos

dear Expert, we want to connect SAP ERP on AS400 to MS SQL server on windows?

can anyone give me the steps ?

thanks in advance

Mahmoud Younis

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello Arjun,

with reference to UDconnect you said i have to install a java application server on system , you mean setup java in application server on my sap system or on another windows server ? and what is the type of java i have to install

thanks in advance

Mahmoud Younis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Younis,

with reference to UDconnect you said i have to install a java application server on system , you mean setup java in application server on my sap system or on another windows server ? and what is the type of java i have to install

I didn't said, you have to Install Java Application Server.

UDConnect is another Option, if you have SAP Java Application Server installed on you SAP ECC , then you can use it otherwise you can use DBCON. You can also Install Java Application server as Add-on in ECC which affects your ECC performance (I wouldn't recommend too) however you can install it in separate server also.

If you already have Java stack, you can try using that instead of installing new Java stack and if you have SAP - BW with Java that is also good option Otherwise explore DBCON.

refer to below links

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/78/ef1441a509064abee6ffd6f38278fd/content.htm

Regards,

Arjun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Younis,

For for successfully connecting to an external SQL Server DB with:

--> DBCON --> 3 parts are required:

1) You need to have the database client of the external RDBMS installed on your system - in this case the SQL Server Client Software

2) You need to download the DBSL for the external RDBMS in your kernel directory - for SQL Server it is called dbmssslib.dll (see SAP note #19466)

3) You need to add an entry to table DBCON which contains the connection details.

Restriction:

you need to have at least one Windows Application Server in your system to establish a connection using DBCON, why?

The reason is, that the SQL Server Client Software is developed by Microsoft and therefore not available for non-Microsoft Operating systems. As there is no client installation available anyways, SAP does not provide a DBSL (dbmssslib) for non Microsoft platforms.

--> UDConnect --> 3 parts are required:

Another option is to use UDConnect as described in SDN:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/58f4db47-0501-0010-a2bf-ff01b150f...

Restrictions:

You need to have a Java Application server in your system as for UDConnect, JDBC is used.

This is not the ideal connection type if you're planning to load a lot of data over this connection.

Regards,

Arjun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you want to connect to SQL DB from SAP then you can follow these steps:

1.Tcode - DBACOCKPIT

2.Click on DB connections

3.Click on Add DBCON entry

4.Provide connection details such as : DB server name,<DBHost>/<SID>,Database name,Object source name

5.Give connection parameter MSSQL_SERVER=<DBHOST><SID> MSSQL_SERVER=<DBHOST><SID>

This will enable you to connect to external SQL DB,similarly you can do for other DB's too.

Test the connection once to verify if you have maintained correct parameters.

Refer to this doc for more details :

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f079d393-a806-2a10-84a4-d821d4ee0...

Regards.

Ashutosh