cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of reducing/reconfiguring workprocesses on SAP Application server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have a requirement where we need to reduce number of workprocesses on one of the AS of our SAP production system.

Our current configuration is CI + 9 application servers.

Now one of the application servers (AS01) is on the same box as CI.Remianign 8 on seperate boxes. We need to reduce workprocesses on this particular AS only!

Currently on AS01 we have Dialog process :85, UPD:14, UPD2: 6, BGD: 75

And after change we figured out it to be DIA: 40, UPD: 14, UPD2: 4, BCG: 60 .

also note that wehave almost 95GB of RAM on our CI+AS01 box.

Basically need now is to have AS01 primarily act as an Batch application server!

Could you suggest if this could have an adverse impact on the whole running of system?

We already have Four logon groups where 5 application servers work as per load balancing for user logon

and batch processing.Remianing 4 AS are specifically dedicated for an external RFC aplication.

As per my understanding that reducing the workprocesses would improve the system functionig as this

would release the memory held up by unsued workprocesses currently confiugured when if we reduce their

total number.

I reffered to SAP note "Note 39412 - How many work processes should be configured?" however it mentions

to have atleast same number of Dialog workprocesses as there are Non-dialog ones.

But we need to have AS01 more like a Batch application server in which case we need to have less dialog

workprocesses.

Could you suggest if this change reduction in workprocesses could have an adverse impact on the whole

running of system? Also is this new worprocess distribution ok for AS01?

Regards,

Ashish Robinson

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashish,

Reducing the number of dialog WPs on your Apps Server will not have any adverse impact. But ensure to configure enough dialog WPs incase you have mentioned this AS as one of the logon load balancing device for your dialog users.

Otherwise revisit your logon load balancing servers and remove the AS in which you are going to make use of batch processing server. With my understanding you will not have any performance or adverse impact by doing this.

Best Regards,

Vasanth G

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ashish,

Resource utilization and performance depends on load on the system from either DIA or BTC mode. Since you want to use that app server for batch job processing, first you have to analyze memory/resource usage of daily running jobs. Based on the analysis you can decide whether you want to reduce few DIA processes or not.

Lets assume total 100 jobs in different intervals are running in your system and using only 30 BTC processes out of 60 then you can reduce BTC processes to 40. Since this app server is used for batch processing you can reduce DIA processes from 40 to 20 as there is no dialog processing.

By reducing DIA and BTC processes you can save memory.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Siva Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Siva and Vasanth for your valuable inputs.

Howvever, I would like to say that though my App server(detaisl of how it is to be used i have already mentioned) is not just going to be used only for Batch processing it will be also supporting dialog users(we have logon load balancing and another 4 app servers are there also for balacing to happen).

Only thing is that it will be MORE so working as Batch server than a dialog one only in comparison in number of workprocesses we plan to reduce them to.

Now since we have load balancing in place so how is it possible to figure out how many jobs run on this particular server in a day (24hrs cycle) so as to better judge the figure of number of BG process we have to configure ?

Please let me know on this.

Regards,

Ashish Robinson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ashish,

Only thing is that it will be MORE so working as Batch server than a dialog one only in comparison in number of workprocesses we plan to reduce them to.

1). Is your Batch Jobs run most of the time in Night or All the time, If most of the jobs runs in Night, You can create Operation Mode in RZ04. So that BG process more at night and DIA process more at morning changes automatically .

2). As Siva suggested, Since you have more BATCH jobs running, dedicated server with Logon Load balancing GROUP would be good.

3). You can reduce number of BG process in some of the servers and increase more in other servers. So that system uses which ever BG process is free and all the servers process BG and DIA request like you said.

Now since we have load balancing in place so how is it possible to figure out how many jobs run on this particular server in a day (24hrs cycle) so as to better judge the figure of number of BG process we have to configure ?

1). in SM37 , goto Layout and select the Executing Server and Move it to the Left and click on the Green Check Mark. You will see the BATCH JObS and Application Server name.

Since, you have Logon Load Balancing, the batch job runs which ever BG process is available rather than selecting the server. So, above point doesn't make much difference.

Regards,

Arjun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ashish,

how is it possible to figure out how many jobs run on this particular server in a day?

SM37 --> Extended Job selection --> Enter app server name in "Executing server" field.

Thanks,

Siva Kumar