cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Directory - How to lock a business process for a implement project

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have Solution Directory assigned to a maintenance project and I understand the checkout/checkin process and how it locks the business process in the Solution. What is the best practice when you are starting a new IMPLEMENTATION project that will impact existing business processes that are in the Solution? I know that I can copy from the solution to build the new project, but it doesnu2019t lock the BP from the solution.

I have a new Implementation project, that i want to checkout/pull existing business processes for the Solution Directory.

*How can these Business Processes be "locked" in Solution Directory as they are with a Maintenance project?*

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are using the Checkin-Checkout functionality, would it not make sense that you permanently check out those business processes while the implementation project is on-going? Since you are only going to re-write them in the implementation project?

Plz correct me if I did not understand your requirement.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We were thinking along the same lines, but wondering if the proper way to do that is to create the new project as a Maintenance project since we haven't figured out how to lock down the Solution using an Implementation project. Make sense?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kelly,

You would use the maintenance project to make daily modifications.

Consider the case of a O2C business scenario. You need to almost make daily configs etc, which get pushed through, such things will go into a maintenance project.

But if you plan to enhance O2C with a CRM front end or include a better planning solution or TPM or something, then you are looking at an implementation project.

Rule of thumb. Short Scale changes : Maintenance Project, Long term/major enhancements : Implementation Projects.

Also In this case to speak about the lock down. Well the Solution Directory kind of takes care of that for you.

I am assuming that you have a solution populated with business processes. So now if you want to enhance it with a new functionality, you would use an implementation project. So when you define the implementation project, and then navigate to Solar01, and try to add business scenarios , ensure that on the Structure tab you select the Solution as the source. This ensures you are copying content from your current, updated, productive solution. Once you do that, the implementation continues on its track, whilst daily support processes are managed with the check-in / check-out functionality of the Solution and the Maintenance Project.

You technically do not need to lock the business processes down, since the Compare and Adjust functionality of a solution will help you identify the deltas between the Solution and the implementation project and you can always make those adjustments post go-live and thus just update the Solution at one shot. Also remember that with SolMan 7.1 the Compare and Adjust functions can be used with Template, Implementation and Solutions in any permutation-combination.

Hope this helps.

Plz let me know if you need any additional information

Cheers!!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ahhh...Thank you! I have not used the Compare function so that was my concern, how to keep track on the deltas!